Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
299520.7 in reply to 299520.6
Date: 05/10/2019 01:34:24
Overall Posts Rated:
UNIFY THE SECOND DIVISION
-why that?

Currently the fifth vacancy for LN goes to the team of best campaign that was not champion.
That is, teams that play in conference with 2.3 bots take a decisive advantage to the vacancy

Proposal:
> Exclude the 4 divisions and take into account 8 conferences.
Each team plays within its conference only, turn and return as it is normally done. It would be the regular season> 14 dates.
The champion and runner-up qualify for the playoffs, starting in the round of 16 with 16

> The 4 semi finalists already guarantee access to LN.

> The 4 teams eliminated in the quarterfinals would dispute the fifth and last vacancy in the LN. (On the same dates that the semis and the final would take place)

So every year they would raise the top 5 teams!!

Since they would have 8 fewer dates in the regular season (the other division conference would be cut off), the playoffs could be stretched, with round-robin games between the Division II elite.

And for next year the conferences would be reorganized according to the campaign of the previous season (a draw with 8 pots, each with the teams that stayed in the same position in each conference).

That would also affect relegation to league III.

Currently 20 teams fall (5 teams per division in II).
In the new format there would be 8 conferences, so the last ones would already be automatically lowered. And the other 12 spots would come from a "tournament against relegation" involving the sixth and seventh place in each conference. Where only 4 of the 16 would remain in the second division.

I believe that unifying the leagues would bring a balance and a greater justice for the relegation and promotion for the national league and III for II.

This also ensures that the 20 worst teams fall, regardless of which league they play.

It is possible in relation to dates and does not mess with the game engine ..

What do you think of the idea? You may feel free to give opinions on what I said

This Post:
299520.9 in reply to 299520.1
Date: 05/12/2019 18:51:29
Le Cotiche
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
i completely agree with you, promotions should only consider record and conference position shouldn't matter at all here
this can be especially painful in the case someone goes like 21-1 but still finishes 2nd in his conference (there was a guy complaiinig in bugs just a few days ago (299144.1))

but i also need to point out that this sentence is wrong

Division winners with lower point differential should not be giving a higher priority just because they lucked out by getting an easy conference to play in.

if we consider 2 equally good teams, the lucky one goes 22-0 against weak teams while the other one gets good opponents and wins its conference with 15-7

Last edited by mark_lenders at 05/12/2019 19:04:00

This Post:
299520.10 in reply to 299520.3
Date: 05/12/2019 19:01:34
Le Cotiche
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
the main problem here is that the current system is inconsistent with other parts of the game

let's say team A finishes 2nd in the east division with 19-3 and team B wins west division with 17-5

unless i'm mistaken (if so, please correct me) A is ranked higher of B in the following situations
- draft order (B will choose first)
- home court advantage in case of a playoff final (A will get HCA)

so why shouldn't A be ranked higher also for a promotion spot?

This Post:
299520.11 in reply to 299520.10
Date: 05/12/2019 19:09:59
Le Cotiche
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
also, BTW, you should really put on the site a simple page where you can check the ranking in real time

This Post:
299520.13 in reply to 299520.12
Date: 05/13/2019 19:07:19
Overall Posts Rated:
the main problem here is that the current system is inconsistent with other parts of the game

let's say team A finishes 2nd in the east division with 19-3 and team B wins west division with 17-5

unless i'm mistaken (if so, please correct me) A is ranked higher of B in the following situations
- draft order (B will choose first)
- home court advantage in case of a playoff final (A will get HCA)

so why shouldn't A be ranked higher also for a promotion spot?

That's a good argument. I like logic, that's logic.

They shouldn't have to do everything the same way because of it, but at least that's a good argument to potentially change to W-L.

For me, quality of the league is random indeed, but it will have as much impact on the conference ranking and the W-L of a team. However, that would be coherent with draft order and HCA finals, even though play-down HCA is dependent on conference ranking and not W-L (should that be changed too then ? ).

If the "East" division in this case has two good teams (the team that wins and the team that finishes second), while the "West" division has five good teams, the fact that the team in the "west" has to play nearly twice as many tough games because of which division they are has an effect, plus the potential randomness of home or away in those cross-conference games. The unfortunate side effect is that no matter what "objective" system is decided on, at some point some team will feel like they deserved it more than the team that actually got it, and there's always a good example to prove why a different system is better and an equally compelling answer as to why that different system is worse.

My opinion is PD is nearly worthless in the whole discussion because it's so heavily influenced by how competitive or not the bottom half of your league is, which you have no control over. W-L likewise is pretty heavily influenced by the depth of quality opposition. Winning the division is a little less random, but of course, the second best team in a league level could be behind the first in the same conference, or it could be the one that survives a gauntlet in a harder series to barely squeak into a division title.

This Post:
299520.14 in reply to 299520.13
Date: 05/13/2019 21:35:17
The LA Lions
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
I haven't really paid attention, to anything, for quite awhile now. So, I'll admit I was pretty surprised to see this topic until I did a little research;

(https://www.nba.com/2015/news/09/08/nba-playoff-seeding-ch...)

(https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/5-things-to-know-nba-di...)

I'm old. I'm accustomed to the idea of division winners receiving a certain measure of preferential treatment in post-season play; A division winner in the NFL getting a better seeding than a wildcard team with a better record, the same in baseball, etc. I had no idea the NBA had begun shifting away from that format in 2015, but I understand where Ivess is coming from, as well as why the system was set up the way it is currently.