Change the Promotion Structure

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 05/07/2019 23:47:03
Delaware 87ers
III.3
Overall Posts Rated:
It appears that the current way that the promotion slot for the highest ranked team that did not win a league championship is based on:

1) W-L Record
2) Division Winner
3) Point Differential

While I get this is the current rule (although the Game Manual doesn't clearly state this), it creates situations where the best team does not always receive that non-champion promotion slot. That should change.

A manager has the ability to control two of those three tiebreaker criteria, W-L Record and Point Differential. They can do that based on the strategic decisions they make (roster construction, offense/defense strategies, GDP, TIE or CT, etc.) over the course of the season.

A manager does not have the ability to control which league and conference the RNG dumps them in.

Promotion should not be based on the luck of the RNG bounces determining who is in your league/conference.

The team with the best record and the best point differential of all the non-champions should get the promotion period. Division winners with lower point differential should not be giving a higher priority just because they lucked out by getting an easy conference to play in.

This Post:
299520.2 in reply to 299520.1
Date: 05/08/2019 04:02:36
Overall Posts Rated:
Sorry, but this post looks like you're trying to change the rules not due to your arguments, but because they haven't let you benefit from promotion last season. I just don't see any other point of your proposal. In my opinion it doesn't eliminate RNG from promotion race at all, as you suggest.
In fact, winning a division is one of rare possibilities, when you can control your fate. You just have to beat your biggest rival in division twice and you'll be 2 games ahead of him without any external help - and that's a big lead, which usually equals to winning the division.

Last edited by Siwy at 05/08/2019 04:03:06

Leniwy, stary, wyliniały kocur. Czasem jeszcze zerknie na polskie tłumaczenia.

This Post:
299520.4 in reply to 299520.1
Date: 05/08/2019 09:35:03
DB TEAM
Serie A
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Jack & Cola
The only thing I would add at current criterio it's that additional promotion should be reserved only for teams so lose the final, regular season mean nothing, are playoff so really count

To: Siwy
This Post:
299520.5 in reply to 299520.2
Date: 05/08/2019 13:29:33
Delaware 87ers
III.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Any promotion opportunity that is not based on actually winning a championship will have some degree of RNG involved in which conference you promote or relegate into. We have all seen how some conferences within a league can have far stronger and more competetive teams than the other side.

That puts those teams at a disavantage when you are basing promotion on who happens to finish first.

Either fix it so promotion is based on W-L and PD only or completely eliminate non-championship promotions entirely.

And, frankly, the whole promotion system should go back to the only way that a non-champion promotes is to replace bots. Changing that was the biggest thing the developers screwed up in the first place.

This Post:
299520.7 in reply to 299520.6
Date: 05/10/2019 01:34:24
Overall Posts Rated:
UNIFY THE SECOND DIVISION
-why that?

Currently the fifth vacancy for LN goes to the team of best campaign that was not champion.
That is, teams that play in conference with 2.3 bots take a decisive advantage to the vacancy

Proposal:
> Exclude the 4 divisions and take into account 8 conferences.
Each team plays within its conference only, turn and return as it is normally done. It would be the regular season> 14 dates.
The champion and runner-up qualify for the playoffs, starting in the round of 16 with 16

> The 4 semi finalists already guarantee access to LN.

> The 4 teams eliminated in the quarterfinals would dispute the fifth and last vacancy in the LN. (On the same dates that the semis and the final would take place)

So every year they would raise the top 5 teams!!

Since they would have 8 fewer dates in the regular season (the other division conference would be cut off), the playoffs could be stretched, with round-robin games between the Division II elite.

And for next year the conferences would be reorganized according to the campaign of the previous season (a draw with 8 pots, each with the teams that stayed in the same position in each conference).

That would also affect relegation to league III.

Currently 20 teams fall (5 teams per division in II).
In the new format there would be 8 conferences, so the last ones would already be automatically lowered. And the other 12 spots would come from a "tournament against relegation" involving the sixth and seventh place in each conference. Where only 4 of the 16 would remain in the second division.

I believe that unifying the leagues would bring a balance and a greater justice for the relegation and promotion for the national league and III for II.

This also ensures that the 20 worst teams fall, regardless of which league they play.

It is possible in relation to dates and does not mess with the game engine ..

What do you think of the idea? You may feel free to give opinions on what I said

This Post:
299520.9 in reply to 299520.1
Date: 05/12/2019 18:51:29
Le Cotiche
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
i completely agree with you, promotions should only consider record and conference position shouldn't matter at all here
this can be especially painful in the case someone goes like 21-1 but still finishes 2nd in his conference (there was a guy complaiinig in bugs just a few days ago (299144.1))

but i also need to point out that this sentence is wrong

Division winners with lower point differential should not be giving a higher priority just because they lucked out by getting an easy conference to play in.

if we consider 2 equally good teams, the lucky one goes 22-0 against weak teams while the other one gets good opponents and wins its conference with 15-7

Last edited by mark_lenders at 05/12/2019 19:04:00

This Post:
299520.10 in reply to 299520.3
Date: 05/12/2019 19:01:34
Le Cotiche
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
the main problem here is that the current system is inconsistent with other parts of the game

let's say team A finishes 2nd in the east division with 19-3 and team B wins west division with 17-5

unless i'm mistaken (if so, please correct me) A is ranked higher of B in the following situations
- draft order (B will choose first)
- home court advantage in case of a playoff final (A will get HCA)

so why shouldn't A be ranked higher also for a promotion spot?

This Post:
299520.11 in reply to 299520.10
Date: 05/12/2019 19:09:59
Le Cotiche
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
also, BTW, you should really put on the site a simple page where you can check the ranking in real time