Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
66639.86 in reply to 66639.2
Date: 01/07/2009 21:45:34
1986 Celtics
IV.10
Overall Posts Rated:
Recently I have participated in a number of discussion on the forums discussing issues surrounding the game engine. As recently I have been trying to use our Game Engine to simulate NBA games I have been thinking quite a lot about this, and as a result was a bit over eager to discuss game engine issues with just about anyone.

Unfortunately, I think my discussions have in fact had some unfortunate consequences. I really underestimated the seriousness with which people would analyze everything that I said, and as I made most of my posts quickly and in a conversational tone I think some things were not clear and many of them flat out wrong. I don't want people to get misinformation because of my conversational tone or rush to respond to a post. The game engine is a complicated sophisticated simulation with many elements, it is therefore very difficult to make statements which are 100% accurate, as some of the questions don't have a proper answer. In fact probably the only way to be 100% truthful is to reveal exactly what the code is.. and we don't want to do that for many reasons. Of particular concern is some of the quantitative statements I made. As a scientific thinker i speak a language which is quantitative, though in many cases what I am doing is essentially making quantitative analogies which focus on one component of a complex system, ignoring many others, in order to make a rhetorical point. This can imply that this simplistic quantitative model is the only right one, when in fact it is not.

Additionally, because I am a BB, people tend to take my opinions on possible changes as strong evidence that a change is actually going to occur. This is not true on many levels. First, I am a scientist by training and so am very prone to making hypothesis freely and then being proven wrong. For instance, in the outside shooting argument, although I said that I felt outside shooting teams had it tough.. it has been brought to my attention that maybe this isn't factually true. Second, as I tried to make clear in my posts, I am very sensitive to the fact that changes in the game have fairness implications across the board, so even if i was convinced that a change was more realistic, or more fun, etc.. doesn't mean that I would support making it or BuzzerBeater would decide to implement it. Finally, I am not the only one whose opinion matters. Obviously we have internal debates about these issues and for the issues I have mentioned recently we have not had any such debate.

So..... In an attempt to clean up the mess that I have made, I am going to add a disclaimer to all of these posts linking to this explanation in hopes that it will prevent people from being misled. I will not being clarifying some of the statements, because to do so would require revealing more about the Game Engine than we care to. This disclaimer should also make it clear that just because I said I had sympathy or support for such a change does not mean that the change will happen. Only official announcements made to the BuzzerBeater community at large should be taken as fact. This is a matter of fairness both to those who read the post and those who don't.

Finally, I'd like to apologize to those who I might have upset or rankled in the process as well as the community at large for the hubbub this created and unfortunately will probably continue to create.

This Post:
66639.87 in reply to 66639.86
Date: 01/08/2009 04:22:29
Overall Posts Rated:
as far as I'm concerned, I appreciated your presence in this discussion and your replies..even if you didn't manage to convince me that MR are more important than team ratings..:)

This Post:
66639.89 in reply to 66639.86
Date: 01/08/2009 05:26:02
Overall Posts Rated:
I really appreciated your participation in the various discussions lately, and I understand it's sometimes hard to have that BB in front of your name hehe.

This Post:
66639.90 in reply to 66639.86
Date: 01/08/2009 08:59:59
Overall Posts Rated:
I really appreciate what you were doing here in the forum, and hopefully you will continue to do so.

;)

This Post:
66639.91 in reply to 66639.86
Date: 01/08/2009 14:14:49
Overall Posts Rated:
Since I have been involved in some of these discussions - I also want to say that I appreciate your input and hope that it won't stop. I sometimes take things too seriously and will endeavor not to do so in the future.

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
66639.92 in reply to 66639.91
Date: 01/09/2009 11:18:27
Nitra Corgons
Extraliga
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Nitra Urpiners
hey guys i dont know if it was posted somewhere, if yes, redirect me please..after couple weeks of training research i found out that ID training have some bad results..i think it takes too loong to get pop up.. has anybody else found something like this out too? or it is just coincidence in my "research"? thanks

1 BBB, 20 Leagues, 10 Tournaments, 3 Europe Titles (SVK), 2 World Bronzes (SVK), 2 Europe Bronzes (SVK,FRA), 42 Seasons NT coaching
This Post:
66639.93 in reply to 66639.92
Date: 01/09/2009 11:41:42
Overall Posts Rated:
hey guys i dont know if it was posted somewhere, if yes, redirect me please..after couple weeks of training research i found out that ID training have some bad results..i think it takes too loong to get pop up.. has anybody else found something like this out too? or it is just coincidence in my "research"? thanks

Nothing wrong with ID training.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
66639.94 in reply to 66639.15
Date: 01/09/2009 13:41:26
Overall Posts Rated:
the problem with jump range is simply, that it takes too long to train... there's so many training updates you just sit infront of the screen and see nothing happend at all, next week.. same scenario - which makes it look like you haven't advanced at all (although you have a with something like 0.33 steps or so, depending on your trainer). It's just depressing to see your team "not advance", where as when you train JS or 1 vs 1 -> Bamm bamm .. pops pops everywhere, which in total will make your team stronger than the pop in JR every 3-4 weeks.
@Astragoth; it's like purple's in WoW ;)

[BTW: Nearly the same big issue with OD training..]

So here i'd like to adress to BB-Forrest as well, you don't necessarily need to raise the effect of Outside shooting, but make it easier to train JR.

When you check how fast Rebounding trains.. which gives you AN EXTRA chance to score 2 / 3 points, that's quite an imbalance there.

"Unluckily" i have this all time great player in my lines, which demands outside training, otherwise i would have switched to inside a long time ago!

Edit: Typo

Last edited by shades236 at 01/09/2009 15:19:48

This Post:
66639.95 in reply to 66639.94
Date: 01/09/2009 13:47:07
Overall Posts Rated:
the problem with rump range is simply, that it takes too long to train...

Yes, I know that's a typo, but it's a damn funny one.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
Message deleted