BuzzerBeater Forums

Utopia - IV.50 > The Actual Season 29

The Actual Season 29

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 10/25/2014 13:40:34
Overall Posts Rated:
i have a few extra minutes, and i thought i would take a look around the league . . .

Aydindril BC currently not setting lineups and losing all games by default. squad of five players, three of whom could be classified as trainees. team salary level is well below the minimum, and the adequately sized stadium is beginning an attendance decline. no signs of life at this time.

Klokateers looks like there are two trainees here (with reasonable potential). Morgan ended last season with a string of games that suggested a future scoring champion. Beery is currently a SF, which means a wide range of skills (albeit with a very low salary). good sized stadium.

Lömmerich Lions a 20-man roster, but it looks like there is only one player who counts -- Hubovich, a U21 player for Belarus, already with a $30,000+ salary. a lot of value added for a $75,000 purchase. good sized stadium.

- Monstars - not clear what is going on here. no stadium expansion, the youngest players aren't playing (or getting trained), with one exception, a 21 year old with a very low potential. older players carry the burden of the playing time, but these are bargain basement players, with only one player making five figures a week.

Tigers 91 a team with a direction: every player on the 13 man squad is under 22. one draftee from season 27 has a Hall of Fame potential; almost all other players can be trained to a very decent level. still a small stadium. but in a season or two, this is going to be a team to be reckoned with.

The dimers another team with a number of very high potential trainees, although not quite at the same level as the Tigers. seven players under 21; several trainees are 20-21, and O'Reilly could be phenomenal, 18 yrs. old, and already making $4700. no stadium expansion to date. a second team to watch.

WIER BAAACK ten players and every single one of them is 20 years old. eight of them have very good potential, and the other two can be trained to productive levels. stadium has 8000 seats. yet another good team in the making.

will tackle the Big 8 at another time.

This Post:
264527.2 in reply to 264527.1
Date: 10/26/2014 09:12:27
Overall Posts Rated:
Now onto the conference that historically produces our tournament winner and, as we shall see, is likely to do so this season:

Utopia Brunswiek Magicians an unfortunate team, winner of three games in a bit more than two seasons in Utopia. but the time has not been wasted, as two players, Windwehr and Teschi, have been the focus of training and are on the verge of overwhelming opposition teams at the G position. Coach Horni sacrifices everything -- including arena size, GS and developing depth -- to training his future stars. is it significant that both youngsters are German?

Burly Lumberjacks the first team i've looked at that is developing an entirely Utopian squad. since i'm doing the same thing, i know the difficulties -- no talented veterans are available, and decent high-potential players are rare and valuable. bsmooth89 has made it even more difficult because he has not yet resorted to the TL. a large roster -- 15 players -- and many of them play, so i am guessing many players are being nudged forward. the salary structure suggests this, as well. a large stadium -- over 7500 seats -- suggests a manager biding his time, developing his base.

Utopia Brainstormers compared to the Lumberjacks, IgnassThugg is a wheeler-dealer: made a couple of hundred thousand off TL transactions, and hit a home run with the draft (Leon, a HoF potential). along with Donev, he has the core of a team, but i wonder if he will move these players after a certain amount of training? good sized stadium, a competitive team with an unclear future.

echoes in eternity another all-Utopia squad, not as rigorous as the Lumberjacks (Grant33 has tapped the TL a couple of times and there is one non-Utopian player on the roster. maybe he is in the process of changing citizenship.), and a handful of decent trainees. no single player leaps out, and Qizhong, relatively high potential, is 21 and only making $2200 a week. a large stadium, however, so money is probably coming in by the wheelbarrow.

Academic excellence judging from the national ranking, a very talented newcomer to DIV50. he got relegated after a season in DIII, but that looked to be a very competitive league. a very distinctive squad -- 4 very promising trainees, including Little Fisher, who has one of the very best names i've seen in BB -- and six veterans over 35. his plans are not clear -- Emteemaster sold two very promising players, and i would think with that roster that having the youngsters gain as many skills as those veterans are losing would be a successful training week.

RBC Pyszczyn a team whose record is much better than its national ranking. this squad has gone 16-6, 19-3, and is now 3-0 since Utopia began. largest stadium, largest attendance revenues, but modest roster costs. rav413 must have an eye for talent, for from what i can tell, his training efforts have gone into three guards (who make 60% of his team's salary). an interesting squad: proven track record, must be printing money (unless he has a world-class trainer), and an impressive core.

The Magnificent Warriors the way i see it, TMW has made it clear he does not want to be in DIV next season: his team salary dwarfs all the other teams in this league, with an average player costing twice the average of the next closest team. but TMW also got a magnificent trainee out of last season's draft. i think the challenge here is balancing the development of Blalock with securing HCA for the playoffs, as Academic and RBC will not go down without a fight. don't hand the crown to TMW quite yet -- there are injuries and other teams are getting better week by week -- but right now they look to be the favorites to advance after this season.

This Post:
264527.3 in reply to 264527.2
Date: 10/27/2014 06:24:23
New Moscow Brainstormers
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Utopia Brainstormers
Thank you for such decent analysis! Very interesting.
Ragarding my team. Donev definitely for sale. Talyka and Leon for long-term training.
I don't like "old geezers" strategy for promotion, so have to resort for training and slow team building.

This Post:
264527.4 in reply to 264527.3
Date: 11/22/2014 19:20:55
Overall Posts Rated:
i inadvertently left off STE from my pre-season analysis and i wonder if he took offense.

that Josh Mantle is listed as PF, but killed me at SF. quite a player, quite a team. STE really hasn't lost since the first weeks of the season. should be quite a finish in the Big 8.

This Post:
264527.5 in reply to 264527.4
Date: 11/27/2014 09:49:11
Overall Posts Rated:
two of the best young SFs in the league -- Mantle and de Zavala -- both went down on the same day with the same two week injury. i would think the odds of that happening are miniscule.

This Post:
264527.6 in reply to 264527.5
Date: 12/01/2014 03:49:04
New Moscow Brainstormers
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Utopia Brainstormers
Did you forget to set proper attitude for the match? I have no other explanation for your TIE.

This Post:
264527.7 in reply to 264527.6
Date: 12/01/2014 05:33:45
Overall Posts Rated:
no, you got me on that one. i did forget about the effects of the long all-star week, and it had been a while since someone CT'd me, so your move surprised me. good move, good game. congratulations.

This Post:
264527.8 in reply to 264527.7
Date: 12/01/2014 06:02:02
Overall Posts Rated:
Nice roster in the current Allstar game!!😜

This Post:
264527.9 in reply to 264527.8
Date: 12/01/2014 16:46:12
Overall Posts Rated:
i don't know how that happened, but what struck me was the salary differential between the two conferences.

as an estimate, the Great 8 starters are pulling down $27,000 a week, while the Big 8 starters are earning $133,000.

on the bench, the Great 8 players make $52,000, while the Big 8 are paid $48,000.

should be an interesting game.

This Post:
264527.10 in reply to 264527.9
Date: 12/06/2014 06:52:43
Overall Posts Rated:
wow. a season-ending injury to the league's leading scorer. that's a tough break.

i've never seen such a lopsided all-star score. proof that the Bodega Bay all-stars did not deserve to be there.

This Post:
264527.11 in reply to 264527.10
Date: 12/27/2014 11:22:16
Overall Posts Rated:
Aydindril BC fielded a team! the prodigal son has returned!