BuzzerBeater Forums

BB USA > National Team Debate Thread

National Team Debate Thread (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
Message deleted
This Post:
305897.3 in reply to 305897.1
Date: 09/08/2020 20:37:05
Upsyndrome
IV.14
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
This question is for Khenry (but all candidates may respond to the questions/topics listed below that pertains to the NT manager position):

how many bigs under 138 TSP do you plan to call up? And will or won’t you option to call up 140+ TSP forwards to fill the SF/PF position over our underwhelming depth at the big position. Moreover, do you feel comfortable slotting said 140+ TSP forwards at PF, besides Graham, over a 130 TSP big?

Also: I noticed last season there was one forward left off the roster that particularly got my attention (Claud Lind; age 34). Was there a reason for this? Were there doubts about said player’s manager’s ability to keep his player in good GS, or did you fear skill drops (Also, had you asked if his manager have a career extension trainer)? I was a bit disappointed that an experienced player like Claud was left off the roster for what I felt was glut of mediocre centers in terms of NT standards.

Overall, despite the call up and rotation differences, I thought you did a fantastic job as the NT manager. You were very active on social media and discord. You spent countless hours scouting/updating the pipeline, and BB-mailing managers as well. I commend you for your efforts. That’s a hard job, and you did very well.

Whom ever is elected the NT manager position, there will be a plethora of up and coming youngsters to help fill our roster. I’m just curious how candidates plan to address what I perceive to be a glaring concern and weakness for us last season and this upcoming season. We ran out of call up options at the end of the season and there were plenty of great options I felt, while the eyesore of low TSP bigs proceeded to haunt my very dreams.

Last edited by A-Dub at 09/10/2020 17:33:58

"You will lose." -Ivan Drago

This Post:
305897.4 in reply to 305897.3
Date: 09/08/2020 22:26:50
Overall Posts Rated:
Get us more bigs over certain TSP and we won’t have to choose between ID/RB and other skills. I want all the TSP as much as the next guy but there’s only so much can be given away, especially rebounding to the top teams. Graham was a great option for us last season, though even he is at much less than ideal RB for the 4 spot, which is clear to anyone looking at boxscores. It’s situational, but I have no issue with forwards at PF if we plan it correctly and aren’t giving away that position simply for more TSP and not necessarily a better skill set.

Lind was a mistake. His manager told me at the beginning of the season that he didn’t have a CE trainer so I wrote him off. I said this in the Discord channel but that can get lost in the shuffle at times. There also wasn’t a single time that anyone, including yourself, brought up Lind as someone that they’d want looked at again.

Overall, and not a secret, we’re lacking in big depth but are overflowing with guards and forwards. It’s going to be imperative that we continue to adapt our strategies, especially with the new GE(if that’s still a thing that will be coming?).

As for better bigs, we do have a few guys on the pipeline that will be beasts with the plans I’ve helped them with both from a TSP and BSP perspective, though my influence hasn’t been long enough to see the results from draftee to NT options.

Last edited by khenry at 09/10/2020 17:00:15

I once had a team with 1757 players and was $25,835,360 in debt. This is not that team. Join the Discord group open to anyone, but especially for USA managers to improve your club or get involved with the U21 and NT programs (https://discord.gg/cKpNkt2).

This Post:
305897.5 in reply to 305897.3
Date: 09/08/2020 22:34:50
Overall Posts Rated:
Overall, despite the call up and rotation differences, I thought you did a fantastic job as the NT manager. You were very active on social media and discord. You spent countless hours scouting/updating the pipeline, and BB-mailing managers as well. I commend you for your efforts. That’s a hard job, and you did very well.

❤️🇺🇸

I once had a team with 1757 players and was $25,835,360 in debt. This is not that team. Join the Discord group open to anyone, but especially for USA managers to improve your club or get involved with the U21 and NT programs (https://discord.gg/cKpNkt2).

This Post:
305897.6 in reply to 305897.4
Date: 09/09/2020 00:29:00
Upsyndrome
IV.14
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
Get us more bigs over 138 TSP and we won’t have to choose between ID/RB and other skills. I want all the TSP as much as the next guy but there’s only so much can be given away, especially rebounding to the top teams. It’s situational, but I have no issue with forwards at PF if we plan it correctly and aren’t giving away that position simply for more TSP and not necessarily a better skill set.

I’m not an analytics guy per se, but have you watched the Rocket’s play? That’s a real life example of giving up inside skills to put your most-optimal, most-skilled players on the court regardless of height and/or disparities. In terms of BB, I’ve been on both sides of the +20 rebound advantage and because of my experiences I’ve been a huge advocate for TSP over prototypical builds with low TSP. Graham is not a fair example because he’s actually better in other areas than most bigs (SB/ID/IS) and he has high TSP; that’s an easy decision to make when you have a bunch of mediocre bigs with low TSP. He drastically makes up for his low rebounding when his TSP is +22 from our next best big man. I’d start him at PF if he had lower RB and [omited] TSP — he’s that good compared to our other options.

Lind was a mistake. His manager told me at the beginning of the season that he didn’t have a CE trainer so I wrote him off. I said this in the Discord channel but that can get lost in the shuffle at times. There also wasn’t a single time that anyone, including yourself, brought up Lind as someone that they’d want looked at again.
Gotcha. In regards to me saying nothing . . . I don’t recall being asked. I thought we were friends? Friends do stuff for one another. Nah, I’m kidding, I was disinterested in BB during the bulk of my rebuild that took actual life years. I wasn’t even a member of the USA discord until very recently which is when I looked at our roster/depth chat. I was completely out of the loop until a couple of weeks ago. Psshhh . . . AND don’t act like you didn’t know that. But in all honesty, I allow managers to make their own decisions and try not to be overly critical. However, the TSP debate has been something I strongly stand by and I’ve advocated it for years which has seemingly fallen on deaf ears in the BB-USA community. That’s why I’ve turned to this debate to ensure I’m heard in a serious tone — I’m using my big boy voice, mommy! No, but really, that’s one of the reasons I voted for Sahand instead of an all-American manager Joe-somebody from discord, because he and I shared much of the same philosophies.

Overall, and not a secret, we’re lacking in big depth but are overflowing with guards and forwards. It’s going to be imperative that we continue to adapt our strategies, especially with the new GE(if that’s still a thing that will be coming?).
Go on, you’re making sense. Keep stroking your beard and smoking your pipe good, sir!

As for better bigs, we do have a few guys on the pipeline that will be beasts with the plans I’ve helped them with both from a TSP and BSP perspective, though my influence hasn’t been long enough to see the results from draftee to NT options.
I was waiting for you to drop the “I” bomb you pompadour! There is no “I” in team, only in Championship. Understand? Good. Great. Grand. Once you learn this you’ll be a great manager like me — notice how I didn’t use “I” to refer to myself? It’s because I’m not a pompadour like you. Sure, I help people all the time.... I’m not that big of a deal to say... “I” did this. “I” did that. “I” made sure this idiot manager listens to my guidance and now his trainee is excellent, because of “I.” Drop the “I” and then ask yourself “why.” Okay, that sounded better in my head. Ignore that last sentence.

Last edited by A-Dub at 09/10/2020 17:36:41

This Post:
305897.7 in reply to 305897.6
Date: 09/10/2020 04:12:27
Overall Posts Rated:
What do you think about rickie? I am training him in od! Will he get some playtime?

This Post:
305897.8 in reply to 305897.7
Date: 09/10/2020 13:27:09
Upsyndrome
IV.14
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
I would suggest that you BB-mail our current USA NT manager (Khenry).

This Post:
305897.9 in reply to 305897.8
Date: 09/10/2020 16:30:52
Cassville Yuck
NBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yuckville Cass
Hey let’s not throw out actual TSP of individual players.

To: Yuck
This Post:
305897.10 in reply to 305897.9
Date: 09/10/2020 17:29:13
Upsyndrome
IV.14
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
I omitted TSP/skills out of respect for the BB-USA community and the future manager of the NT. I, myself, like to play mind games with rival managers/teams. Psychological war fear: give out information that benefits your cause. I want people to know that I play “high TSP small-ball” because that makes me even more unpredictable.