Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 08/04/2015 04:42:35
Kira Kira Koseki
III.6
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
Just four days to go before we all wage war on the basketball court once more. Over this post and the next post I make, I'll be providing a brief overview of every team in the league, starting with the eight teams who made last season's play-offs:

rimmers
Season 31: 20-2 (#1 in Big 8), ABBL champions
Franchise Player: Poluta’u Brar
Big Money Grabber: Dylan Scoggins

The rimmers have taken the ABBL by storm over the last two seasons, winning back-to-back championships with a squad that's strong on paper and even stronger on hardwood. They'll surely challenge for the three-peat, but the age of some of their players will be a concern.

Hard Ball Gets
Season 31: 16-6 (#1 in Great 8)
Franchise Player: Dwight Catic
Franchise Future: Tobias van den Hout

There's no shame in taking the ABBL finals series to three games in your first ever ABBL season MP5. HBG's roster is currently in a state of flux, so their title chances this season will depend on who they bring in.

Axis- wait, now it's Kinky Koalas
Season 31: 19-3 (#2 in Big 8), Battlers Tournament champions
Franchise Player: Joey Sercombe
3.5 million? You're having a laugh: Diego Saucedo

Don't expect the Koalas to challenge for any titles this season following the off-loading of two of their best players, with other players also on the transfer list. Their battle this season will be to avoid relegation.

Whitebeard
Season 31: 15-7 (#2 in Great 8)
Franchise Player: Kerehi Scully
ABBL championships won: 5

An all-Australian line-up who enjoyed a long period of success in the late 10's/early 20's before dropping back to division II, only to return a few seasons later. They're a team that can never be counted out when it comes to the title race.

Kobe Resurgents
Season 31: 14-8 (#3 in Big 8)
Franchise Player: Nope, all their players are foreign
Money Grabbers: Hoyos and Chiossi

Formerly called Stone Slashers, the Resurgents have been rather quiet achievers throughout their long history, with the manager not frequenting the forums, and the team itself being an ABBL regular for a while now without winning anything. The current team probably needs a guard or two to back up the big's if they are to challenge.

High School Drop-Outs
Season 31: 13-9 (#3 in Great 8)
Franchise Player: John Risley
Notable Statistic: 78.3 million in players sold, 75.9 million in players bought over their long franchise history

HSD have some good players but are lacking squad depth, having sold two of their best players from last seasons campaign. These are holes that they need to plug if they want to be sure of avoiding relegation.

Aussie Pride
Season 31: 14-8 (#4 in Big 8)
Franchise Player: Scott Schneider
Consecutive ABBL play-offs made: 12

Despite enjoying a long period of success in the ABBL, Aussie Pride have only won one ABBL championship, and with most players in the squad now on the wrong side of 30 years old, it might be time for Aussie Dude to consider ending the dynasty with a bang...

Guanzheng Goldfish
Season 31: 12-10 (#4 in Great 8)
Franchise Player: Will Johnson
Club Legend: Xie Guanzheng

Another team that has reasons to worry about the growing average age of their squad. The starting five is a strong one at the moment, but will it still be strong at the end of the season, or will skill drops take their toll?

I'll post about the remaining eight teams, including the newly promoted teams, later tonight. Need a short break after writing all that up...

Who fancies their chances of winning a trophy this season?

Last edited by Jay (OTT) at 08/04/2015 09:10:43

This Post:
272254.2 in reply to 272254.1
Date: 08/04/2015 04:53:02
Overall Posts Rated:

O^* }:> O^* I'II BE BACK O^* }:> O^*

This Post:
272254.3 in reply to 272254.1
Date: 08/04/2015 07:12:28
Kinky Koalas
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Down Under Drop Bears
Ummm..

Can write? Superb stuff!!

I have a feeling Rimmers will be going the three peat, unless another team wastes themselves and splashes a lot of cash.

Never know... Could be me.

We are a bit Kinky now.

This Post:
272254.4 in reply to 272254.1
Date: 08/04/2015 09:03:11
Kira Kira Koseki
III.6
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
You Shouldve Dunked!
Season 31: 13-9 (#5 in Big 8)
Franchise Player: Luka Cicvaric
Player Jay paid too much for: Mauro Palmeri

Two narrow losses and an awful cup draw in the first week of the season destroyed any chance YSD had of winning a trophy last season. But the team is strong on paper, and the new season gives them a fresh opportunity to compete for the title, if they can get off to a good start this time...

North Carlton Cavaliers
Season 31: 10-12 (#5 in Great 8)
Franchise Player: Nicolas Sherman
Hero of Senegal: Abdoulaye Sokore

The Cav's look like a team that can make a stronger showing this season, having improved their squad in the off-season. Arthur Lilly in particular was a great buy. It might be a stretch to say they can compete for the title, but a play-off spot is very achievable.

Lewisham Wombats
Season 31: 10-12 (#6 in Big 8)
Franchise Player: Michael Wayne
BuzzerBeater Experience: 30 seasons and counting

Wayne is a beast, but the rest of the starting five look like merely serviceable ABBL players, and there is little bench to speak of. They should be able to avoid relegation, but don't expect a play-off run unless Wayne puts up 25 and 15.

Koopasaurus
Season 31: 7-15 (#6 in Great 8)
Franchise Player: Derryn Scrimgeour
Economic Situation: Pitiful

They started last season 0-6, but even after buying world-class guards to take the team salaries up to almost 900k, they still struggled to get results in the league. The team as it stands now might make the play-off's, but if I was Koop, I'd sell one or both of the high salary guards and try to build a team that can avoid relegation without blowing the budget.

ACT Blaze
Season 31: 20-2 (#1 in Big 8), II.1 champion
Franchise Player: Keith Drew
Clutch Rating: Legendary

The Blaze managed to win a thrilling game 3 in overtime to make it to the ABBL for the first time in franchise history after 20 seasons of bouncing around Division II and III. But sadly, their current squad is looking like one that may only last one season in the ABBL, even with the Big 8 being weaker than it has been in recent seasons.

Foenix_Suns
Season 31: 18-4 (#1 in Big 8), II.2 champion
Franchise Player: Rod McAdam
Spelling Ability: Atrocious

SN_13 gradually added pieces to his squad puzzle as Season 31 progressed and was eventually rewarded with a 2-0 win in the II.2 finals series, and his first season in the ABBL in franchise history. The Great 8 is looking like a strong conference this season, but Foenix_Suns are a good team right now and can avoid relegation.

Yarra Park Bears
Season 31: 14-8 (#3 in Big 8), II.3 champion
Franchise Player: None, just foreigners
Favourite Wrestling Move: The Bear Hug

The Bears return to the ABBL after a brief absence, thanks to a surprisingly good play-off run where they won 3 consecutive away games en route to the title. But whilst the starting five is good, there is no bench to speak of, and with Aver currently on the transfer list, Yarra Park is currently looking like a team that's going to finish 8th in the Big 8.

WA IS A DUMP
Season 31: 22-0 (#1 in Great 8), II.4 champion
Franchise Player: Peni Umaga
ABBL championships won: 5

Fresh off of dominating II.4, bryce_gibbs returns to the ABBL with a scary good team that should easily make the play-off's, and perhaps even compete for the title at the end. This man knows how to win, and so does his squad.

And that wraps up my team-by-team preview of the ABBL in the 32nd season of BuzzerBeater...

PS: If anyone was wondering how I determined Franchise Players, I tried to pick Australian players who are part of a team's starting five and have been playing for the team in question for several seasons.

Last edited by Jay (OTT) at 08/04/2015 09:21:46

This Post:
272254.5 in reply to 272254.4
Date: 08/04/2015 09:32:45
rimmers
III.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Redbacks
This is easily the best thing anyone has written in the season threads since I have played this game.

I will keep giving plus 1s for the rest of this week to show how much i enjoyed it.

This Post:
272254.6 in reply to 272254.5
Date: 08/04/2015 10:10:57
Koopasaurus
ABBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Not only well written but great advice as well.

I have taken on the advice =P

This Post:
272254.7 in reply to 272254.4
Date: 08/04/2015 17:28:56
High School Drop-outs
ABBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Pre-school Brawlers
Great job again. If you find time it would be great to get a mid-season wrap after Round 11.

This Post:
272254.8 in reply to 272254.4
Date: 08/04/2015 19:38:18
Overall Posts Rated:
Kudos mate, awesome write up, appreciate the clutch call though more than anything was a little bit of luck I think.

Do agree particularly on comments with my roster, having finally got up here I am not planning on diving straight back down so will be spending some capital to try and avoid the plunge... *Watch this space*

Nice to get an insight on the other teams here and having Rimmers first I suspect I am going to get a right royal spanking in game 1. :)

This Post:
272254.9 in reply to 272254.4
Date: 08/04/2015 22:26:09
Overall Posts Rated:
Maliverni at 130 tsp probably doesn't appreciate being called servicable :p

Twas tempted to make a run this season, but with the market still stupid, and me heading away for about a month, it might be another season of holding tight...

This Post:
272254.10 in reply to 272254.9
Date: 08/05/2015 03:45:57
Kira Kira Koseki
III.6
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
Mistakes were made. I didn't realise that Malinverni was a salary efficient Small Forward until you pointed it out. So now that's two players that I have to worry about when I play against you...

This Post:
272254.11 in reply to 272254.10
Date: 08/05/2015 04:48:05
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, Durling is over 120 TSP, so probably 3 players.

My other two starters are ABBL backup quality though, and as you say, I have no bench, so I'll be doing nothing this season unless I bring in players.