Utopia - III.15 > Season 30

Season 30

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 01/23/2015 07:36:49
Overall Posts Rated:
Hello new roomates,

Glad to be back in L.III after a blank season in L.II I didn't deserve. The rent was too high in this period of crisis so I had to get back to my mama's house. I feel better here, please don't let all dishes, dust on the floor and beer bottles on the table as my ex roomies did in L.II !

Glad to see 3 others frenchies here. I see great managers everywhere I look and I'm almost impressed. Competition will be rough and I thank Marin for the new promotion rules. If not I should rest in these league for the rest of my BB life !

Glad to play againt Marin. Thanks for this game. Thanks for creating Utopia. Thanks for game design changes. (Teacher's pet!)

Wish good game to you all

This Post:
266976.2 in reply to 266976.1
Date: 01/24/2015 05:50:47
Overall Posts Rated:
i, too, am glad to be here, but i'm not quite sure where "here" is -- with all the shuffling, continuity is lost, so i am not sure about basics like ticket pricing, expected revenue, and so on. i haven't taken a careful look around the league to see how strategies are being implemented, and without that i am playing with blinders on. as it is, my goal now is to win the relegation match. aim high!

good luck to one and all.

This Post:
266976.3 in reply to 266976.2
Date: 01/24/2015 11:30:15
Overall Posts Rated:
Let's see who we're dealing with . . .

Dexter Morgan
a returnee from last season -- which must have been a dogfight in the Great 8, as only 6 games separated the first seed from the eighth -- and he has assembled a nicely balanced team, maybe better than most. perhaps half of his salary goes to his two C, and he picked up a very nice SF last season. in addition, he has assembled a small group of high potential trainees. all in all, a young, talented team.

BC Maldoror
an advancing squad, winning his DIV league last season. i notice three players here who have been getting inside training, Anton, Tulahi, and Rooney, and have become players to reckon with. Blurp has balanced these players with three veteran SGs. he has a good-sized stadium and could have decent revenues. another strong squad.

The Greek Warriors
Another returnee and playoff squad from last season. AnTony has a squad that has an abundance of youth mixed with three veterans (two C and a SF). the young players, judging from their salaries, don't appear to have noteworthy skill levels -- they may be balanced. on paper, at least, not as impressive as the first two teams reviewed.

Snitram II
right now, the highest nationally ranked the league. intriguingly, Bernas must have a real eye for cost-efficient talent, because his team's salary level is one of the lowest in the league. (he did just dump two veteran SGs who combined for $27,000 a week). otherwise, like the Warriors, evidence of single-position training is slim, as Battista is a young trained SG, but everyone else (who is trainable) is making under $10,000. all in all, this does not seem to be the best team in the league.

Rapid Wombats
another returnee, a fifth-place finisher last season. yet another relatively low-level salaried squad, but one without any obvious trainee, but having a couple of fine players in their mid-20s, and an aging veteran at C. this team as it is feels incomplete to me.

ChiLeaders
winner of a DIV league last season, this team is coached by the very hard working BB-Marin. the squad has one 19-year old, high potential trainee, a couple of aging trainees in their early 20s, and then nine players between the ages of 34 and 42. yikes. "career extension" indeed.

jugospastika
another DIV champion, but ranked 170 nationally. based on that, this is a team on the move. another nicely balanced team, this team has young C, a recently purchased PG, a couple of good players in their late 20s, and an SG in his late prime, all done with a relatively low salary. the major weakness i see is a small stadium / revenue base.

i will tackle the Big 8 when i get some more time.

This Post:
266976.4 in reply to 266976.3
Date: 01/26/2015 03:02:15
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi! (hi) Here's a new entry:seems to be a nice division!

This Post:
266976.5 in reply to 266976.4
Date: 01/26/2015 14:13:45
Overall Posts Rated:
let us see what the Big 8 looks like:

Baikal Medvedjanok
a returnee from last season, a playoff team with a 14-8 record. nice team: a couple of promising trainees, a couple of players who are just a bit older, well trained, and a couple of still-prime big men. low salary, but huge gate: this team should be making good money, unless they are spending big on coaches. solid team with a future.

Waschbären Hannover
blew through DIV.27 with a 21-1 record but lost in the finals. perhaps a team in transition, as the youngest players are from Utopia, but the team's success has been due to three players over the age of 33. another problem (i have it, too) is that promoting because of record means no promotion bonus for attendance. combined with a rather hefty team salary, Danki has some tricky managing challenges facing him.

Hopkins Blue Jays
last season's fifth place team, with a solid 13-9 record. this team also has a hefty salary (over $165,000) combined with a stadium that maxes its revenue at $120,000 or so. here bmore has trained, quite successfully, a couple of big men, has a couple of 19 year old trainees in the wings, and has balanced the team with older guards. the team has good depth.

Rolling Bushes
like Hannover, another non-title winning team advancing from DIV. the five players forming the core of the team consist of three veterans and two nicely trained outside men. the six youngest players on the team are Utopian; perhaps another team in transition (although one of the trainees is Utopian but was offered for sale earlier this season). Unlike Hopkins, The Bushes have a large stadium in place.

Boca lArine II
Boca closed last season with a rush, winning the DIV championship despite never have HCA. their first game at this level reflected the attendance bonus, with a handsome $148,000 gate. an oddly schizophrenic squad, with 5 players over 33 forming the team's backbone, along with ten young players from Utopia (three of whom are for sale). this is another team facing some tricky managerial decisions (already, one of the veterans is injured for two weeks).

Acque Pericolose
first team i have reviewed that joins us after having been relegated from DII. judging from the first game, there doesn't look to be that much of a revenue penalty for falling a division -- the team is blessed with good, loyal fans. the team's salary level is in the league's lower half. another one of these generationally-split teams, with seven players under 23, and seven over 34. (i would guess there are a lot of fights over what music to listen to in the clubhouse.)

DK BEARS B
the conference's second-place finisher last season. i definitely detect a Slovensko tilt to the team, as four of the youngest players are from that country, and one of them is on Slovensko U21 squad and a second is a 22-year old with a salary over $40,000 a week! otherwise, the most talented players are much older. the team carries a large salary, but the stadium revenues are on par with Hannover. interesting squad -- i get the feeling winning is not the top priority here.

Macabi Haase II
here because they blew through DIV.7 with a 26-0 record. but the oldest seven players are all over 33. the team salary is an outlier for the league, currently at around $75,000, but the arena should produce good revenues -- this team is well positioned to make a bit of money. not clear what the plans are here, as the most recent purchases were both 33 year olds. that said, i must note the team's manager has a good eye for talent, for his team's results are much greater than its salary.

good luck to one and all. with all the older players, i anticipate a good bit of roster turnover before this season is over.

This Post:
266976.6 in reply to 266976.5
Date: 01/29/2015 03:28:49
Overall Posts Rated:
nice summary!!!!

Hi all, my name is Gal.
To my big disappointment i managed to get to L.III after 3 tries... but now im here, finally!!!

As last season I will continue to try to be as competitive as I can, I will base my team on old guys to lower the costs and will try to finish as high as I can. I got a nice talent in the draft and I think I will train him, but my main target will remain to qualify to L.II as soon as possible. This season I don't stand a chance so I aim for next season.

good luck to all
Gal

This Post:
266976.7 in reply to 266976.3
Date: 02/10/2015 10:32:50
Overall Posts Rated:
on 30 January, i put in an order to expand my stadium by five seats, going into my luxury section. i just read i have two days to go before completion. they are really nice:

This Post:
266976.8 in reply to 266976.7
Date: 02/17/2015 02:57:38
Overall Posts Rated:
well, It took me much more than i hoped but finally my roster to this season is 95% complete!!! I may replace one of my guards but at least now I have a team that can compete in the league.

As last season I'm gonna count on veterans to bring immediate results without thinking on next season too much - my first goal is secure a playoff position - and it's not gonna be easy, since my poor balance. but you can be sure that I'm gonna put up a fight in every game from now til the end of the regular season!

good luck to all

Gal

This Post:
266976.9 in reply to 266976.8
Date: 02/17/2015 06:27:08
Overall Posts Rated:
i'm glad you finished strengthening your team in time for our game today.

This Post:
266976.10 in reply to 266976.9
Date: 02/17/2015 10:31:28
Overall Posts Rated:
sorry man.... ;)

nothing personal...

This Post:
266976.11 in reply to 266976.10
Date: 04/11/2015 06:17:42
Overall Posts Rated:
by my calculations, the Big 8 won 40 of 64 games with the Great 8.

i have rarely been in a league where the quality teams were so concentrated in one conference.

all that is a prelude to wondering who will be facing BC Maldoror in the finals.

my guess right now is Hopkins - Maldoror, with Maldoror advancing (HCA is hard to overcome).

more generally, congratulations to all the coaches this season -- i think all the teams in this league have been competitiitve (despite the records) -- there have been no walkovers -- and i have found very little separates my squad from Boca and the Wombats, regardless of our records. good luck to all going forward, and let us hope nothing is determined by injuries.