BuzzerBeater Forums

Canada - III.12 > Season 17

Season 17

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 07/28/2011 22:32:45
Overall Posts Rated:
Welcome to all the new teams in III.12: The Hounds, The Spartans, awock vultures, Grand Raptor, Jets de Montreal, and Slimshots. Good luck everyone this season. Good luck also to Lightning Thunder--last season's champion--and O-Ballas who promoted into division 2.

This Post:
192307.2 in reply to 192307.1
Date: 07/29/2011 19:59:05
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks Kwan.

Good luck to everyone this year. I plan to go 11-11 during my first DIII season so that means exactly half of you guys are in serious trouble!!!

Any predictions?

This Post:
192307.3 in reply to 192307.2
Date: 07/29/2011 21:49:00
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah hi all

good luck for the season. i wish to go 1 step further this year and win the title

ending up losing the grand final series 2-0, however picked up a couple of handy players during the offseason

anything less than a top 2 finish for my team will be dissapointing

got a tough first match up though!

cheers guys

To: Kwan
This Post:
192307.4 in reply to 192307.1
Date: 07/29/2011 22:51:25
Overall Posts Rated:
GOod luck to you to Kwan, I drew a tough conference and a not very great financial situation, bad managing on my part :P You might see me back in div III next season ;)

This Post:
192307.5 in reply to 192307.4
Date: 07/29/2011 23:54:01
Overall Posts Rated:
haha yeah I kindve just decided to tank, this season is about training Hightower and Shufflebottom whilst making money ;)

This Post:
192307.6 in reply to 192307.5
Date: 08/20/2011 23:15:36
Overall Posts Rated:
well...as hard as it is to admit this...and sad to say...i think that it's time to set myself into rebuild mode...

it's not too long ago i was in the playoffs in tier II...then i was a powerhouse here...and it's just gone slowly down hill...i am not sure what went wrong...i maintained the roster...kept the stars while bringing in the same level of support (true, i wanted better support, but i was able to keep the same level at least...so my team shouldn't of been getting worse...maybe teams around me were just getting better *shrug*...)

now...my player salaries are too much...i'm losing money...not selling out for games...i'm already almost at the bottom...i think it's time to sell my my big guns and restart with some young up and comers...i fully expect to drop down to tier IV...maybe even down to tier V before i'm done...but i hope to be back up here before too long fighting for a promotion...

thanks for the good times guys..maybe i'll see some of you around again sometime...

and now that i said that...i realize i still have 15 games to go through...so yes...i will still be seeing you guys for a while...but just remember that last part at the end of the season

This Post:
192307.7 in reply to 192307.6
Date: 08/21/2011 16:27:55
Overall Posts Rated:
I may or may not agree with rebuilding your team but I strongly disagree with wanting to relegate to accomplish that. You have to consider division 4 revenues. Merchandising and TV contract is lower than in division 3. Ticket sells are lower in general and you have to add in the penalty from relegating so I doubt you will be able to generate more with your arena in a lower division than in division 3. In terms of expenses, a lower total salary might be efficient enough to win in division 4 but there's no guarantee you won't run into a good division 4 team that would be spending as much as they can of their profit margin on their payroll. There's no guarantee to promote back in one season.

To that, remember that you are deducted 3% in sells of your players. Keep in mind that the trend for the value of young players on the TL is changing. You will also potentially forfeit cup games that you could have won with a division 3 roster and the 50k that comes with those wins. You also lose the immediate revenue when expanding your arena because you might already have more seats than you can sell in division 4. You'll give up not only potential revenue, but also precious time as your arena size stops improving for a season or more.

More importantly, I disagree that you will relegate in rebuild mode. You'll have to gauge the strength of possible opponents at the end of the season for the relegation series but you will make the relegation series. You'll at least finish ahead of 4Minute.

Last edited by Kwan at 08/21/2011 16:28:17

This Post:
192307.8 in reply to 192307.3
Date: 08/22/2011 04:28:23
Overall Posts Rated:
Quick one third season review:

Blue Conference
- Crash Test Dummies are on pace to get the top 2 finish they were aiming for. They're tied with
- The Hounds that are currently first with a record of 6-1 which is much better than their early season goal of a 11-11 record
- East Side Rangers and Saskatoon Showtime are putting themselves in a great position to get a playoff seed this season. They're both 4-3
- 4Minute after a 0-3 start climbed back to 5th spot after taking wins off of The cKs and Browncoats
- Rivals The cKs and Browncoats are surprisingly 3-4 and 2-5. For the last two seasons, they've secured 2nd and 3rd playoff seeds in the Big 8.
- The Spartans are looking for their first win.

Red Conference
- Grant Raptors and Super Slam Dunk are tied 6-1 but Raptors have a 90 point differential advantage.
- 3rd is tsa`aq who are only 1 game behind with a 5-2 start
- awock vultures and BC-King-, tied 4-3, round up the top 5 in the conference most likely to make the playoffs this year
- Simshots and Jets de Montreal, 1-6 and 0-7, will be facing serious opposition if they end up in relegation series since the opposite conference is very competitive this season.
- Toronto Rovers, 7th at 2-5, have been inactive since July

In division 4
- Trenton Golden Hawks and Montreal Wolverines that were relegated last season are both undefeated in their respective division 4 league and well on their way to promoting back to division 3. Good luck to them.

In division 2
- O-Ballas, first. 6-1 and still in the cup. He'll be playing We Are Legends that promoted from III.12 two seasons ago in the inter conference segment of the upcoming schedule.
- Lightning Thunder, 5th spot in his conference with a record of 4-3. Thunder had major changes to the roster since the finals last July against Crash Test Dummies. In terms of total salary, they're already top 4 of their league.

Last edited by Kwan at 08/22/2011 21:06:17

This Post:
192307.9 in reply to 192307.8
Date: 08/22/2011 05:46:38
Overall Posts Rated:
I hate to agree with manager Kwan but hes right, you definitely should fight to stay and looking at the teams around you, you should easily manage that. Although I disagree with you finishing in front of 4Minute ( that team is pure swag). It also might help to have at least 3 guys at all times on your team that will benefit from training. As Kwan mentioned o-ballas is destroying DivII and he has one of the lowest salaries in that league. He build up his team from scratch as far as I know and I didnt see him spend any money when he was here with us. You really are robbing yourself when you dont have enough young talent to benefit from training.

Crash Test Dummies (IMO) is playing the game wrong. I dont think you can have long term success by just adding 30+ year old guys that will be available for a cheaper price tag beacuse of their age. Sure you can buy yourself up into higher leagues but it will never get you to the top. As of now CTD youngest player is 26, so he has no one to train which is a free way (minus trainer cost) of improving your team. I also dont see him being able to resell those guys he baught at huge gains at best he will break even, so if anything he will be in a vicious cycle of having a bunch of 30+ year old guys. I could be wrong though I mean 85% bought himself all the way to Naismith doing this but he really worked his ass of on the trading block, I think its a bit of a different case with CTD. In any event I think you should at least get 3 young guys for relatively cheap and make use of the training.

I also would like to remind everyone that we have a sleeping giant. Tsa'aq could wake up any day and decide he wants to win this league and he can easily do that. I would have him as the favourite to win until the last day of transfer eligibility for the playoffs. Im not sure how much cash he is sitting on but it is enough to get out of here and probably compete straight away in divII. Luckily for us though it wont be anytime soon, as he is still trying to sell last seasons MVP and probably this years as well. I just pray that he dosent wake up the season I have a winning squad (pretty please).

Last edited by ILove4MinutesHyunah at 08/22/2011 05:49:58

This Post:
192307.10 in reply to 192307.8
Date: 08/23/2011 14:46:10
Overall Posts Rated:
This was awesome to read! :D +1 ball!

The Blue Conference is looking much much different! The red conference is not looking as different however :P

Im really surprised by the O-Ballas, Stu seems like a much better manager then me :P

Yeah I may be top 4 in total salary, but im at -189k and losing 25k a week. Im raising ticket prices, but otherwise I will have to sell one of my players :P. I think a playoff spot is a very real possibility for me though and I really like my roster(just need a couple more trainees).

Good luck to everyone here! Hope to see you up in div II with me soon!

This Post:
192307.11 in reply to 192307.7
Date: 08/28/2011 13:16:53
Overall Posts Rated:
i'm not saying that i want to relegate...i'm saying that i think it is inevitable...

in order to get my profit back into...well...profitable margins...i am probably going to have to sell my high salary players...which...wouldn't you know it...tend to be the better players...and with the loss of the better players...means the team gets worse...and worse team means...well...i think you can figure that one out...

i too am one that doesn't necessarily believe in rebuilds...i follow the NHL religiously...and it seems that 99 percent of the world feels that all teams have a life cycle...they get old...do bad...get good drafts for the next 5ish years...and in a couple more...when those players reach maturity...they have a good team again...but only until those players get old...then they start over again...

i don't find this to be true...sure it worked for Pittsburgh...Chicago...and it looks to be working for LA as well...but it never worked...or still hasn't paid off at least...for the Islanders or Florida...and we'll have to wait and see about Edmonton...Detroit is a good example that you can maintain a competitive team year after year...with good managing and smart drafting...a team never needs to go into rebuild mode...

i think that usually...a rebuild means A)...the manager or owner prematurely panics...or gives into the fans demands that they want to win all the time and a couple bellow par seasons means that everything in the team is wrong and we need change now...or B) bad managing has gotten them stuck and the team needs an extreme shake up to get back on track...

maybe that's what happened to me...i like to think of myself as a good manager...but maybe i took some wrong turns...i do have some older players...but they're my stars...they are who got me here...i try to bring in young players through the draft to one day improve to the point that they can take over the starting job eventually...but they never seem to rise to the occasion...and just end up being backups for the duration of their career...and if i want to compete...i have to bring in high quality players through the transfer market...i try to find younger players so that they can stay competitive for a few years...

but ya...i think i rambled on and lost the point...

to summarize...i don't want to rebuild...i don't want to relegate...just like most other managers...i want to get better and win...but i think to do that...i will be forced to rebuild...or eventually become bankrupt with a sub par team...and to have either one or the other is not the end of the world...if i was going bankrupt with a power house...then at least i'm winning...and i know the reason for going bankrupt...or if i have a crap team but am making money...at least i'm making money...and there's hope for the future...but the combination of losing money and losing games has me concerned...and so i think it's necessary for a rebuild...and i don't want to get demoted...i just think that it is going to be a result of the rebuild...