Suggestions > 5th place game

5th place game

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
134219.44 in reply to 134219.39
Date: 03/12/2010 11:18:07
Overall Posts Rated:
First off I want to thank you Charles for your detailed response. BB is the best game out there because of you willingness to get involved and work with the community. Kudos to you!!

As I have mentioned my main issue is with the fact that there is little or no incentive to try and finish high up in the standings. Obviously the playoff spots have a decent plus side, although many would argue that finishing 6th may be a better option if you are only going to lose in the first playoff game anyways. To me this is a major issue. I like to see tight races where everyone is fighting tooth and nail for positioning. Competition breeds intrest and that is something that should be capitalized on.

How to make it better is the tough part. There are plenty of great suggestions in this and other threads. I would like to see the merchandise, fan survey effects be far greater. Is it possible to add 'fans expectations'? It could be on a game by game basis or based on teams season standings. The fans expectations would dramatically influence merchandise and ticket sales, so teams that lose games that they should clearly win would be losing revenue initially.

Another possible solution is just give the fifth place team another scrimmage. In a game where training is what improves your team and generates the majority of your income, losing one or two weeks of skill training is massive. It also drives a bigger wedge between the playoff teams and the fifth place team. I know everyone says that you can 'team train'. But stamina and free throws do not help the fifth place team become a forth or better team the following season. Players with higher skill are more effective and worth more on the market, stamina and free throws have little value in that reguard.

I do agree that relegation is extremely costly, teams are taking a serious chance in 'tanking'. I think the BB community is grateful that you have developed a game that DOES allow teams to make errors and a game that DOES allow quality managers to make up ground. But by taking the fifth place teams income AND training away, you are creating more seperation between the average teams and the elite. It does however close the gap between the fifth place team and the teams that finish 6th-8th, which can create a cycle that is less than ideal.

I have clearly written far to much, so if you have read this all...THANKS!!!

-beanerz

Last edited by Mod-beanerz at 03/12/2010 11:18:27

This Post:
134219.48 in reply to 134219.46
Date: 03/12/2010 11:58:53
Baker Street Irregulars
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Baker St. Irregulars Beta
We still don't understand why the 5th place team don't get a Tues scrimmage.

This Post:
134219.49 in reply to 134219.48
Date: 03/12/2010 12:10:47
Overall Posts Rated:
Because the reward over 6th place is enough.
Like it was shown earlier, 1/3 of 6th place finishers relegate. 0% of 5th place finishers relegate.
5th place finishers get 1 less game for training. 6th place finishers have a 33% chance of losing the majority of their income for an entire season (or more if they do not advance for a while).

1 less game vs 33% chance of losing a LOT of income.
Which would you pick?

This Post:
134219.50 in reply to 134219.47
Date: 03/12/2010 12:14:29
Overall Posts Rated:
I've seen both of these sentiments several times, but they're conflicting, aren't they? If you both think that there's too much of a reward for finishing in the playoffs and not enough of a reward for finishing in the playoffs, it's probably pretty well-balanced. :)

I would agree that there is a very good balance from 1st-4th and from 6th-8th. But explain to me why is it fair that 5th lose out on training. The revenue means very little to me, as teams that plan well should have no issue with two weeks worth of finacial loses.

Training is the most important part of the game, for competitiveness and revenue correct? I am pretty sure we all agree and understand that, so why does the fifth place team lose training?? Adding a scrimmage for them levels the playing field and will make people re think the relegation series even more than they already should.

This Post:
134219.51 in reply to 134219.49
Date: 03/12/2010 12:14:32
Baker Street Irregulars
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Baker St. Irregulars Beta
Adding a scrimmage for 5th place finishers and risk of relegation are mutually exclusive.

You might want to go back and read what why other ppl want scrimmages for the 5th place team.

This Post:
134219.52 in reply to 134219.49
Date: 03/12/2010 12:16:15
Overall Posts Rated:
Good post!!

If forced to pick, I can say I love my fifth place!!

This Post:
134219.53 in reply to 134219.49
Date: 03/12/2010 12:19:09
Overall Posts Rated:
Because the reward over 6th place is enough.
Like it was shown earlier, 1/3 of 6th place finishers relegate. 0% of 5th place finishers relegate.
5th place finishers get 1 less game for training. 6th place finishers have a 33% chance of losing the majority of their income for an entire season (or more if they do not advance for a while).

1 less game vs 33% chance of losing a LOT of income.
Which would you pick?

1/3 of the 6th place team loose the relegation, thats different from getting relegated. And when Charles mention that team on the spot 7 are sure about their relegation and could prepare for it(why not fighting against place 8 or 6?), their are also benefits for team who prepare themself for place 6 even when they could be better placed(and normally they have much higher winning prohability then 66%).

It stays the different in the last season seaosn in the survey, personally i believed that the difference was pretty small and i believe i make nearly everything possible till now^^ But a small percentage on a regular basis through 11 home games, could also make a difference even when it is hard to see.

Last edited by CrazyEye at 03/12/2010 12:20:04

Advertisement