BuzzerBeater Forums

Bugs, bugs, bugs > full court press produce an uneven ball holding in a game

full court press produce an uneven ball holding in a game (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 03/15/2009 19:39:31
Overall Posts Rated:
hey every one,

well it's been bugging me for quite a time but in this game I think that I can open it in the bug section.
Not really sure if it's a bug but I think that it needs to be checked.

when a team plays Defense: full court press
http://www.buzzerbeater.com/BBWeb/boxscore.aspx?MatchID=1...
if you would look at the number of shots that each team took you may notice that the other team took 132 while mine only 95.
I've been trying to add this up how did they get so much more ball possessions than my team, and things became even more problematic.
lets start:
FT - I had 27 (lets say 14 ball possessions) they had 11 (again 6).
TR - I had 65 they had 54
TO - I had 20 they had 4
I'll add this up:
mine: 95+14=109 (total ball p)
the other team: 132+6=138 (total ball p)
which leave up with 19 more ball P
lets sub the TO-TR (each TR another ball p each TO a loss of ball p) total of 16-11 = 5
and that's leave us with 14 more ball p which are unaccounted for

here are over games with the same calculations:
http://www.buzzerbeater.com/BBWeb/boxscore.aspx?MatchID=1... - 13 more ball p
http://www.buzzerbeater.com/BBWeb/boxscore.aspx?MatchID=8... - 9 more ball p
and this game is funny I had more shouts (so ball p) but this doesn't add up:
http://www.buzzerbeater.com/BBWeb/boxscore.aspx?MatchID=8...
if you would look at this game I had 44 more TR-TO would leave us with 30 more ball p.
but had only 6 more attempts at their basket thus missing another 24 attempts.
another example:
http://www.buzzerbeater.com/BBWeb/boxscore.aspx?MatchID=8... again I have more TR than TO but find that my team had less attempts at their basket.

well I know this post is hard to follow (hence understand what I tried to say - it was hard for me to write it without getting lost) so if anyone need more details or want me to expand on the topic feel free to ask.

I think this post is long enough so I'll stop here once again I'm not sure if it's a bug but i think that it should be checked.

This Post:
81354.2 in reply to 81354.1
Date: 03/15/2009 20:19:46
Overall Posts Rated:
24-second violations are not recorded as turnovers, therefore it's a bit more challenging to count the exact difference in possessions.

Additionally, since rebounds results from misses, you have to add up defensive rebounds and makes, not total rebounds and shots.

Not to mention free throws can be taken as 1, 2 or 3. These calculations are way too imprecise.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
81354.3 in reply to 81354.2
Date: 03/16/2009 04:53:23
Overall Posts Rated:
yeah I agree with that the problem is that as far as I remember all the games between my team and a full court press defenses ended up with me thinking wait a sec why do they have more shots. I'll try to look at other players results and maybe add other examples

This Post:
81354.4 in reply to 81354.1
Date: 03/18/2009 13:27:08
Overall Posts Rated:
the thing is the other team had 12 more offensive rebound then you and you had 16 more turnovers then him. and i am assuming that you went to the line 13 times and he went 5. so add all that up

95 shots + 12 +16 +8 = 131. but hey atleast you won.

go mama kitty 7- 19-10
This Post:
81354.5 in reply to 81354.2
Date: 03/19/2009 19:46:19
Overall Posts Rated:
I think I found another example:

(10660542)

once again what bothers me is that the number just don't add up.
when I look at games that both teams don't play full court press you would see the numbers more or less even (2-4 ball p difference) but when the one of the teams plays full court press the numbers simply don't add up.

let say it like that so far all the games I checked that one team plays full court press usually I find out that 10-14 ball p are for the team that plays full court press.

a few answers about rebounds it doesn't matter if you gain OR or DR because with each ball p you get you would either TO or you would throw it at the basket.
(agreed except of the occasional 24 sec violation)

I have a better idea I should probably do something a bit better next week I'll add up 20 games of full court press and 20 games of other D (randomly and from all leagues) I'll post up the average of the ball p differences and the dif in each game.
either I'll be proven totally wrong or you might think that this needs to be checked.
just to make sure that this won't get screwed by one strong team or another all the games would be taken form dif teams and dif league (mine not included)

Last edited by Mod-oeuftete at 03/19/2009 20:09:03

This Post:
81354.6 in reply to 81354.5
Date: 03/19/2009 20:16:40
Overall Posts Rated:
I think I found another example:

(10660542)

I have a better idea I should probably do something a bit better next week I'll add up 20 games of full court press and 20 games of other D (randomly and from all leagues) I'll post up the average...

A better investment of your time would be to watch one of these games the whole way through and do your own count of the stats and see if you can figure out where the problem is.

An even better investment would be to just drop the issue. There is no bug here.

This Post:
81354.8 in reply to 81354.5
Date: 03/19/2009 20:30:16
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm going to close this. If you want to discuss this more to understand how it all adds up, Global or the Help forum would be appropriate.