Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 03/27/2024 11:25:17
Holy City Hoopers
IV.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Charleston Chuckers
I've been away for a while...has there been any discussion of improving stamina and minutes management?

We really need the following, in no particular order:

1. Indication of how Stamina is affecting players in-game. I should be able to know how tired my players are so I can act.

2. Ability to dictate how frequently, or in-frequently, 1st/2nd/3rd choice players play.
> Pre-defined %: 65/25/10, 45/45/10, etc.
> Optional stamina modifier: Unless lower than X% stamina

3. Ability to train stamina as % of weekly training.
> ~8% will eventually get all players to average
> ~20% will eventually get players to prominent
> With age related modifier, of course

Last edited by Gccsteel at 03/27/2024 11:33:22

This Post:
323403.2 in reply to 323403.1
Date: 05/28/2024 14:59:10
Jack Sparrow
IV.58
Overall Posts Rated:
Completely agree with you friend. But they are not going to listen to us.

This Post:
323403.3 in reply to 323403.2
Date: 05/29/2024 23:31:56
Phantom 56xers
MBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
Definitely need to raise more attentions and voices to be hear by the GM

This Post:
323403.4 in reply to 323403.1
Date: 05/30/2024 11:07:29
QQguest
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
1. Indication of how Stamina is affecting players in-game. I should be able to know how tired my players are so I can act.
It is generally believed that stamina affects ratings.
In this old thread (116609.1), we can see that there is a way to study it, so I don't think it's necessary to add a new indicator to show how tired a player is.

2. Ability to dictate how frequently, or in-frequently, 1st/2nd/3rd choice players play.
Currently, the Substitution Pattern includes: Follow Depth Chart, Let Coach Decide, Coach Picks from Depth Chart, and Depth Chart until 4th.
I think this is good without complicated settings.
So I don't see why there is a need for change.

> ~8% will eventually get all players to average
> ~20% will eventually get players to prominent
> With age related modifier, of course
It seems fundamentally similar to the current method.
Training once per season is equivalent to 7.14% of weekly training.
I don't see the necessity for changing it.

This Post:
323403.5 in reply to 323403.4
Date: 05/30/2024 14:13:30
Jack Sparrow
IV.58
Overall Posts Rated:
Currently, the Substitution Pattern includes: Follow Depth Chart, Let Coach Decide, Coach Picks from Depth Chart, and Depth Chart until 4th.

I understand that what our friend is requesting is to be able to change the distribution of minutes between the starters, substitutes and reserves.
It is currently set at approximately 36-10-2 minutes for each.

I would like to be able to change this distribution with a dial, for example:
Starters 28, Substitutes 18, reserves 1.
Being able to make your substitutes play more minutes than now.

Or in another case:
Starters 32, Substitutes 10, Reserves 6

This change would not entail much complexity but it would allow a player who fouled out in his training match to play at least 6 minutes in one position to complete his weekly training. Now he could only play about 10 as a substitute "stealing" minutes from another player or only 2 as a reserve, being insufficient to reach the optimal level.

In my opinion this would allow managers much more variety of tactical options.

This Post:
323403.6 in reply to 323403.5
Date: 05/31/2024 10:17:30
QQguest
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
I oppose adding a training-specific substitution pattern just for training purposes because it feels very boring.
This game require us to observe the behavior patterns of the computer coach on the field and then find ways to master it to achieve our goals.

As far as I know, the distribution of minutes between the starters, backups and reserves varies depending on the game situation (such as whether it enters garbage time).
Also, using a substitution pattern such as Coach Picks from Depth Chart, if the starters are significantly weaker than the backups, the backups will have noticeably more playing time.
Besides, no one said, for example, that backups for different positions can't be the same player.
There are different arrangements to try, which might produce different results.

This Post:
323403.7 in reply to 323403.6
Date: 05/31/2024 13:35:54
Jack Sparrow
IV.58
Overall Posts Rated:
I oppose adding a training-specific substitution pattern just for training purposes because it feels very boring.
This game require us to observe the behavior patterns of the computer coach on the field and then find ways to master it to achieve our goals.

As far as I know, the distribution of minutes between the starters, backups and reserves varies depending on the game situation (such as whether it enters garbage time).
Also, using a substitution pattern such as Coach Picks from Depth Chart, if the starters are significantly weaker than the backups, the backups will have noticeably more playing time.
Besides, no one said, for example, that backups for different positions can't be the same player.
There are different arrangements to try, which might produce different results.

Please explain to me how I can make one of my players play approximately 28 minutes with the current game configuration.

I still haven't managed to do it, except once when I injured a prop.

This Post:
323403.8 in reply to 323403.7
Date: 06/01/2024 01:15:28
QQguest
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
If the score leads significantly, using Follow Depth Chart, the starters' playing time is about 28 minutes, give or take a few minutes.
This game (129647754) is an example, the starters of my PF and C positions play 28 minutes and backups play 20 minutes.

If the score is very close or even slightly behind the opponent, then Follow Depth Chart is indeed not effective.
However, if the backup players are significantly stronger than the starters, using Coach Picks from Depth Chart might work.
For example, in this (old) game (37151492), my PG starter plays 29 minutes, and the backup plays 19 minutes.

If there is no restriction on a single position playing for 28 minutes, and the backups are close in strength to the starters, it is possible to achieve this by using Coach Picks from Depth Chart or Let Coach Decide.
In this B3 game (129757425), TWT's Z. Bevalds plays 25 minutes, and according to BBAPI, he plays 8 minutes at PG, 8 minutes at SG, and 10 minutes at SF.
I guess TWT probably set Z. Bevalds as the backup for the PG, SG, and SF positions.

This Post:
323403.10 in reply to 323403.4
Date: 06/10/2024 09:21:45
Holy City Hoopers
IV.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Charleston Chuckers
It is generally believed that stamina affects ratings.
In this old thread (116609.1), we can see that there is a way to study it, so I don't think it's necessary to add a new indicator to show how tired a player is.

I will look at that thread. Thank you.

I disagree that this is good or sufficient. The total minutes played by my listed starter will depend on his stamina level, skills related to the backup, and score of the game. In other words, 3 things out of my control in that specific moment. If I want to have roughly 50% split between my starter and sub then the only option is to blow out my opponent. Which depends on the skill level of my opponent and available players.

It seems fundamentally similar to the current method.
Training once per season is equivalent to 7.14% of weekly training.
I don't see the necessity for changing it.

That's fair. I just hate "wasting" a week of training for something like Stamina. I look forward to seeing the pops on Friday AM. I could drop this one as it is more personal enjoyment than any game strategy.

This Post:
323403.11 in reply to 323403.9
Date: 06/10/2024 09:51:58
Holy City Hoopers
IV.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Charleston Chuckers
The whole process of managing minutes is just arbitrary and not fun for me. I feel like I'm coaching from the booth and my assistant coach won't take any orders and I can't discipline or fire him. If you're going to make hard rules about how many minutes a player needs to play each week to stay in optimal form, you need to allow for more direct control over the minutes. I've been playing the game since season 3, so I do know how to manipulate it to keep my players in good form. But I don't enjoy it.

I'd also really like to be able to have a tweener play two positions for ~36 minutes split evenly between the two roles. Either off the bench or starting at one role. Currently impossible outside of injuries or a very specific blowout scenario. Or have a 50/50 split between a defensive and offensive role player at a specific position. Maybe time it up so defensive is with the starters and offensive comes on to carry the bench. Again, not possible. This is basic basketball strategy in college and the pros.

Why do you think that would be useful?

Two reasons. One, it gives you more control over stamina levels over a period. Right now, you can periodically train stamina. So your choice is to train it 0, 1, or 2 times per season (or more). If you want to train it 1.5 times per season then you can do 1 this season and 2 next season. If you want to train it 1.3 times per season then you can do 1, 1, 2. With a slider, you could just say 5% or 10% of total ratings or anywhere in-between. Set it and forget it.

Two, I find it unenjoyable to train stamina. Training is one of the parts I enjoy about this game. Waking up on Friday to see which skills have popped. Stamina week is boring and the results are not really visible in the game. I'd rather have 95% pops per week than 100% pops for 12-13 weeks and 0 pops for 1-2 weeks. Just personal preference I guess there.

Last edited by Gccsteel at 06/10/2024 09:53:12