Empty the bench during garbage time

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 02/14/2023 19:20:29
Tampines Fusion
SBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't know about other leagues, but as far as I know in the NBA, when the game is in garbage time, both teams actually empty the bench to let their subs/reserves play.

In BB however, only the winning team does that. I've actually seen blowout games turned into close games because of this, and also if the losing team is coincidentally playing patient, their main shooter can actually stat pad by hitting more than half of their points total if the gap is big enough and garbage time starts in the third quarter (I've came across this pretty often) coz they're shooting over an inferior player who is not allowed to take a break for the rest of the game.

I understand the fact that this is done to "help out the weaker teams", but if both teams empty the bench, their players still has enough space in their weekly minutes to contribute in the cup, where they get extra money for winning. I mean, who won't love to play their starters in all 3 games of the week and still have good game shape? Why force them to eat up their player's minutes by pushing in an already meaningless game?

Message deleted
This Post:
318196.3 in reply to 318196.1
Date: 02/16/2023 02:47:10
Overall Posts Rated:
(since my other message was deleted).
It has been suggested, not approved.

This Post:
318196.4 in reply to 318196.1
Date: 03/28/2023 19:56:46
ExplosiveBubbleWrap
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
BubblesExploded
I'm a little late to the party here but I think BB would need to adjust point differential being the tiebreaker for seeding in order to implement this and have it not cause problems/outrage.

Bubbles BuzzerBeater Official YouTube Channel:(https://www.youtube.com/@BubblesBuzzerBeater)
This Post:
318196.5 in reply to 318196.4
Date: 03/29/2023 02:43:09
Tampines Fusion
SBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
I doubt that would matter if we make it optional. But considering the fact that not many people complain about losing out on point difference because garbage time kicked in at the third, causing them to lose 10-20 points, I don't think we'd hear much noise from the other side either.

This Post:
318196.6 in reply to 318196.5
Date: 03/29/2023 12:20:14
ExplosiveBubbleWrap
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
BubblesExploded
I hear complaints about it all the time and requests for the PD tiebreaker to be changed.

Bubbles BuzzerBeater Official YouTube Channel:(https://www.youtube.com/@BubblesBuzzerBeater)
This Post:
318196.7 in reply to 318196.6
Date: 03/29/2023 19:50:07
Tampines Fusion
SBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Oh damn, that's news, albeit good news. They should bring it to the suggestion forums. Everyone here talks like the winning team shouldn't have the big win they deserve and that the handicap given by garbage time is an entitlement.

Then again, it should solve the problem if it's optional. If someone sucks at team management so bad that they need garbage time to keep the minutes in check, they can even have it in blowout losses. For those who don't like garbage time messing with their PD and player stats, they can choose not to sub out their players.

In such a scenario, if people still complain about PD because they aren't getting the handicap they feel entitled to: if they were the one who chose to sub out their starters, they only got themselves to blame. If they chose to keep their starters in, and are pissed that their opponents didn't play subs against them, maybe it's time to wake up and see what's wrong with their own team than pointing fingers.