Season 41

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 01/03/2018 03:53:02
Risers
IV.10
Overall Posts Rated:
Looking forward to competing against you guys (and girls maybe?) again. Looks like we got 2 bot teams in each conference so its safe to say even the worst of the active teams will have at least 6 wins at the end of the season. :D I assume FWF are the favorites, but I haven't checked out the teams yet. I'm expecting to make the playoffs and maybe shake things up a bit.

This Post:
291312.2 in reply to 291312.1
Date: 01/03/2018 12:12:51
Overall Posts Rated:
We, also expect, to make the playoffs. Needless to say, this season (41) were just looking forward to the playoffs, and wish we could just bypass the regular season. We will be sitting our regular starter's alot this season, so that way were hopefully healthy for the playoffs. That plus, we wanna get the new guys some training. And that's what the regular season is about for us.

I think we all know the 8 playoff teams. The Great 8 maybe a little more challenging. You got Cyborgs, shlubs, new york, Risers and Miami <---with some help. Were be able to tell after 5 games if Miami is a playoff contender or not.

Great 8

B.Bomber's
Sharks 13
Seattle
Minnesota

Last edited by Timberwolfs at 01/03/2018 12:17:31

This Post:
291312.3 in reply to 291312.2
Date: 01/03/2018 13:48:57
Cyborgs
III.7
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Brawlers
Looks like this will be a competitive league with the active managers, just glad to be in a league where the managers are active in the forums.... it makes the season a lot more fun.... For the Cyborgs this season I am mostly concentrating on training and maybe to get lucky and have a playoff run.... Good Luck to all this season and hope everyone has a good Cup run

This Post:
291312.4 in reply to 291312.3
Date: 01/03/2018 16:26:20
Overall Posts Rated:
That's interesting. I always thought, team's with 35 plus year olds did away with training. Because it declines the player or player's faster. Like there's two ways of doing things in a sense. Run an older squad with nothing but older players. Trade them in once in a while and keep the progress going. Or run a young team, train them. It's a longer route but to me i have more fun training my players and watching them grow.
Btw im not condemning either way.

I just thought with an older squad-no training. They would decline as fast. But i could be 100% wrong on this, and i probably am. Lol

This Post:
291312.5 in reply to 291312.4
Date: 01/03/2018 23:31:59
Cyborgs
III.7
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Brawlers
I run with an older squad but have 2 main trainees that am currently working with... as they get better I will slowly switch out some of the older players for ones slightly younger, this process will take a few seasons, by the time my trainees are about 26 they should be ready to play competitively, which will enable me to draft or pick up 2 new trainees and switch out a couple of older players for ones slightly younger... if this plan somehow works in 5 seasons I should have a young dominant DIII team possibly reaching D.II ...... but like any plan things happen and you have to have a backup plan....

Yes you are correct, it is a lot more fun to develop players than just buy players.... good luck this season..

This Post:
291312.6 in reply to 291312.5
Date: 01/04/2018 02:03:12
Overall Posts Rated:
That's how I've been running my team too actually. I've had this starting five for a couple of seasons now, and their starting to get up there in age now (28,29,31,30 and 25). I had a decent back up team in place. But the ceiling cracked as we were - 4k. So, were behind schedule now.

A few seasons past, i THINK i had a 35 year old, and he played 18-23 minutes per week. Tried to keep him under the 48 mark, and he still declined. That, and any older player I've had was only good for one season. By, season two, he was crap lol.

Sooooo, i decided start young, build em up. We took our beatings. Had a lot of losing seasons before we ever even sniffed the playoffs. And last season was actually the first time we ever won a playoff game. Before that we were one and done. For a second i thought we were the Minnesota T.Wolfs (they've never won a playoff series)

Good luck to you also this season. I hope your training goes as you plain.

This Post:
291312.7 in reply to 291312.6
Date: 01/04/2018 03:59:29
Risers
IV.10
Overall Posts Rated:
Having a mix of trainees and old guys has been satisfactory for me.

I like to have trainees with star or all-star potential as I can reach their cap, or close to their cap (according to buzzermanager), with a level 5 trainer, while they're still young. I used to keep six trainees, but I realized four is much more manageable from season to season. Not only will I have fewer guys with salary spikes, but I lose less training opportunity when switching from two position training to one position. I sell trainees I don't intend to use when they cost too much. I put them up for 10x the higher of either their estimated salary or current salary. Typically underpriced, but as a result more attractive to bidders and therefore, going for their market value.

As far as the old guys, I try to get solid talent for a really low price. Since I knew I wasn't going to win anytime soon, I just tried to stay out of relegation while maximizing my training, which is hard when your 18 year olds have around 50 TSP to start off. Even though the older players have stat drops, their salaries will decrease at the start of every season, keeping in line with or even improving their stat cost. You can even consider Career Extension as your trainer's bonus to improve their value even further, since the stat drops will be less frequent. Lastly and most importantly, I try to flip these old guys for a profit down the road. I sell them for the lower of 10x their estimated salary or current salary (according to buzzer manager). Even though it's above market value, the starting bid is based on their statistical value. I still got one old geezer I'm trying to flip. After that I'll start doing it all over again.

The reason I multiply the estimated/salaries by 10 when selling players is because that's the price players from inactive teams go for as a Free Agent. There are already players going for that type of money so there's no reason mine shouldn't either. In my opinion, it's better for players to sell based on these starting bids, than the ridiculous ones on the transfer list. (We all know what I'm talking about) Prices being based on a player's statistical value according to the Free Agent system is healthy for balancing the game's economy. Sure, if 90% of players did this. The rich would get richer in a sense, by buying cheap young players, but over time it would work itself out due to income being limited by maximum arena capacity, maximum seat prices, TV revenue and merchandising. Even the rich have a limit to how super their team can be.

I also use USA players only to increase merchandise money ever so slightly. (according to forum guide)

I managed to bank $3 million, through this process of flipping older players and selling trainees. Although I lost $400k, when I added Daniel Blackman and sold him a week later when I was eliminated from the playoffs. It was worth the gamble though considering in the first round I was even until the 4th quarter. Low stamina, incorrect game prep predictions, and possibly changing the offense I used all season long might've been a huge factor. It was also fun to try to shake things up. Who knows what happens if that 4th quarter goes my way. All of a sudden I would've been a serious contender.

The one major issue with my overall approach to this game is that I keep a small roster. So injuries and foul trouble can throw me for a loop every once in a while. I've been fortunate though.

Last edited by Matt D at 01/04/2018 07:06:39

This Post:
291312.8 in reply to 291312.7
Date: 01/04/2018 04:29:50
Overall Posts Rated:
Very similar with us. Like i started to get into with my last post, I never had any real luck with older players. Around 35-37.

With us, I do the same exact thing, except with younger player's. Build them up and make a very nice profit off of them.
Might be tough to do for the time being because i lost my trainer (level 6)
I train up to anywhere between 6-8 extra players usually starting at the tender age of 18. That way it gives me a good 3 seasons with them. Like i said, that maybe a little tricky now.

And I normally look for Perennial players,for whatever reason I've had the most luck with them. It's kinda funny perennial players seem to work great for PG,SG,SF, however C,PF, you can get away with star's. I haven't figured out why, but why question it, if it works? Lol

Things are a little out of order for us this season, still trying to figure out my bench situation, the players im training for profit and saving up money for a trainer. Im confident in my starters, its my bench players im not sure what their gonna give me this season. Probably try different lineups, see what works. Should be an interesting season for us.

Best of luck to you this season. Trying for 3 straight playoff appearances, i believe you're anyways. :D

Last edited by Timberwolfs at 01/04/2018 04:40:23

This Post:
291312.9 in reply to 291312.8
Date: 01/04/2018 05:16:13
Overall Posts Rated:
Just for fun:
Early perdition's

Which two teams do you see making the finals? season 41
(Can't pick your own team)...the candidate's are....

BIG 8:

Boomington Bomber's
Denver Rockies
Sharks13
FWF
Seattle Swish
The white walkers

Great8:

Cyborgs
Miami Rich Ballers
New York Legends
Risers
Shrugging Shlubs
Villanova Wildcats

My pick: Shrugging Shlubs OVER Boomington Bomber's 2-1

See how smart i am at the end of the season :D

This Post:
291312.10 in reply to 291312.8
Date: 01/04/2018 05:24:07
Risers
IV.10
Overall Posts Rated:
I'll have you know I had one other playoff appearance before that! Funny how you go for the tender 18 year olds and I go for the very far from tender 35,6,7,8,9.

I can't switch to a level 6 trainer and perennial+ players until I expand my arena. My money situation will get out of hand. I probably will do that after Moody/Hagen complete their training, which is still a few seasons away.

Yea if you have scoring and huge salaries elsewhere, all you need is a big that can rebound and defend. For example, I had Harold Rossi, the young 40 year old as he was, since my first or second season. Even though at 40 he wasn't giving us buckets, he played solidly even at 40. Solid being rebounding and not taking away shots from the other guys. I noticed that players with low scoring ratings don't take many shots unless you run an offense where their position takes shots, but even then not a lot. So if you want a guy to win the MVP, get one scorer and a bunch of defenders. lol . Also, for whatever reason Tony Stanton and Harold Rossi didn't suffer as many stat drops as I was expecting even though I had them from 37/8 to 41+. They will be missed.

A dream of mine is to train a big that can pass and shoot from deep, but be solid inside as well. I'm going to probably need a superstar potential trainee at least though since jump range is expensive af.

Last edited by Matt D at 01/04/2018 05:25:47

This Post:
291312.11 in reply to 291312.9
Date: 01/04/2018 06:02:07
Risers
IV.10
Overall Posts Rated:
FWF > Shlubs 2-1 with one of the first two games going OT.

Last edited by Matt D at 01/04/2018 06:04:40