BuzzerBeater Forums

USA - V.101 > Headed to the Finals!

Headed to the Finals!

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 01/28/2012 22:45:53
Overall Posts Rated:
Tonight, the team earned their first Finals appearance under the Kittanning logo, winning 111-66 behind Rafael Faina's game-high 27 points and Angelo Iriarte's monster 26-point, 20-rebound, 13-assist triple-double. In the Finals, they will take on the Avenel Falcons, who knocked off the Erie Razors 84-60 to earn their first appearance as well.

During post game interviews, the KT coach/GM briefly managed to shout a quick thank-you to the fans before being deluged with gatorade and champagne. Players were understandably excited after the game. Even several of those who were unavailable to play were paradoxically available for post-game interviews:

Len Smiley (on reaching the Finals as a rookie): "Oh it's a great feeling. Obviously there are guys who've been waiting a lot longer for this than I have, like Damian or Jose, and there are guys like Antonio and Rich and Rafa* who have all been part of this team from the start. But it's great you know, to be a part of something like this my first season in the league."

Damian Aldridge (on reaching the first Finals of his career): "Y'all know I was part of the Bunny Humpers last year. I got hurt and missed some time, you know, and they obviously felt it was time to go in a different direction. I'm not mad or nothing, and I'm glad to be here, but I thought I had a chance to be a part of something last year, thought I was doing my job for them, and then they go and dump me...it hurt. I won't lie. But I'm happy to be here with a second chance here now, and I'm looking forward to going out there and getting that championship, only as a member of the Kittanning Tornadoes."

Rafael Faina: Yeah, well we thought we had a chance to make it last year. We knew it was gonna be tough, with the Bunny Humpers and all, but we felt we was contenders last year and now we got a chance to go and do it again and show everyone what we're made of this year. I think last year, we picked up some players just before the playoffs, like Tullio and Angelo was new and Li was new and Lorenzo and all them was just coming in, still trying to get down our system. This year, we played together, we know each other, we're a better team this year, and nobody's gonna stand in our way."

Rich McNeill: "When the Tornadoes franchise started back in season 15, I was one of those original players who was on the original team, along with Eddy and Tony (Antonio Astudillo). Obviously a lot of players have come and gone between now and then, but they've always stuck by me and made an effort to keep me around and I'm hoping to go out there and repay them by bringing back a championship."

Lorenzo Catapang: "Oh it's a great team. We have a great team here, great group of guys who all know their roles and what we have to do. I have no doubt we can go out there and win, and I'm looking forward to stepping out on that court and showing everyone just that this Tuesday."

Antonio Astudillo: "Yeah, it's exciting. I mean, if you don't get excited about competing for a championship, then pardon my french, but dude, why the hell are you playing professional basketball?"

Eddy Berry: "Yeah, back in season 15 when all this started, I was 22 and still a rookie, no calls after the draft. Then my agent called and told me that some expansion team called the Kittanning Tornadoes needed players and wanted to have me in for a workout. I'm just thankful that they gave me my shot in the league, and now we've reached the Finals, all I can say is wow!"

Angelo Iriarte: "One thing about this team is everyone pitches in. We all got a job to do and we just go out there and do it, doesn't matter what we have to do. Someone goes down, like Rafa earlier this season, the next guy steps in. And now we're in the Finals. Am I surprised? Knowing this team, no."

Expect more in-depth interviews from each Kittanning player as the week continues leading up to Tuesday.

*Rafael Faina, affectionately dubbed "Rafa" by his

Last edited by T.M. at 01/28/2012 23:59:55

To: T.M.
This Post:
207577.2 in reply to 207577.1
Date: 01/28/2012 23:21:49
Overall Posts Rated:
"Y'all know I was part of the Bunny Humpers last year. I got hurt and missed some time, you know, and they obviously felt it was time to go in a different direction. I'm not mad or nothing, and I'm glad to be here, but I thought I had a chance to be a part of something last year, thought I was doing my job for them, and then they go and dump me...it hurt. I won't lie. But I'm happy to be here with a second chance here now, and I'm looking forward to going out there and getting that championship, only as a member of the Kittanning Tornadoes."

Wow, is this a direct attack on me!? Haha, I actually laughed reading this and I liked reading everyone's interview actually. I also noticed you changed your name.

Interviewer: So Palma, or may I call you Leandro, or maybe just Lea. Anywho, Lea how does it feel like, to be shipped out of your ex-team Kittanning Tornadoes just 2 days before the playoffs? It would've been your first playoff experience, and what it looks like, your first championship ring! How do you feel right now?
Leandro Palma: Well first of all...I'm am not a adept English speaker, right now I would like to, uhm how do you Americans call it, use the male that translates? *Random Portuguese*
Translator: These are the direct words from my agent, "I F***ING HATE THE MANAGER, I WAS ABOUT TO ACHIEVE FAME AND FORTUNE, BUT NO, THE MANAGER JUST HAD TO SHIP ME AWAY. WHEN I GET OLDER, I WILL TURN INTO AN AMAZING PLAYER, HOW DARE HE JUST GIVE UP ON ME. IF, IN THE FUTURE IF I EVER GET TRADED TO A TEAM IN USA, I WILL DESTROY THE KITTANNING "LITTLE WINDS"!"

Last edited by Lemony at 01/28/2012 23:23:53

This Post:
207577.3 in reply to 207577.2
Date: 01/28/2012 23:54:36
Overall Posts Rated:
ROFL. I just figured that in a real interview, there would definitely be questions about last year's champions leading up to the finals, the more so in this case because of the history between our teams. And who better to have the personal grudge than Damian Aldridge, the ex-Bunny Humper?

I had not considered Leandro Palma. I guess he might feel pretty bad. But it had to happen, since I'm trying to single-position train McNeill and Faina a little bit more to get them ready for D.IV, along with Smiley of course, so there was no room for him. Then of course next year if all goes well in the draft he would get ousted by a new trainee. And yeah, I changed my name. Team initials, plus the 1 (KT1) because just 'KT' was already taken.

Palma's interview was great, btw. I wish I could have kept training him, because ironically he was just showing signs of serious improvement with a triple-pop when I shipped him out. Then of course he had great height, but oh well.

(Upon being told of Palma's report): the team manager could not be personally reached for comment. The team's PR department issued an official response saying that "We wish are sorry for Leandro that he did not fit in with our long-term plans. He was a great player and teammate, and embodied all the qualities we look for in a young player. He has a bright future and we wish Leandro the best wherever he goes as he continues his promising career."

However, members of the press did manage to catch up with several Tornadoes players celebrating in a nightclub. Between copious swigs of various hard liquors, fellow South American Rafael Faina was much less gracious had a few choice words of his own for Leandro: "Those Brazilians they are all alike. They never amount to much of anything even when they have everything set up perfect for them, like Leandro could have had with us, if he hadn't SUCKED so bad. That's why WE ARGENTINIANS are the BEST IN SOUTH AMERICA! And unlike the Brazilians we can talk in ENGLISH so people can understand us! So Leandro you can just shut up and SUCK IT! I'm glad we kept Len and not you. He ain't no IDIOT like you. Plus, he's BETTER. So go to hell you little whiner." (McNeill and Astudillo frantically try to hush him, but he continued in a loud, obviously drunk voice) "You'll be lucky if you EVER manage to make anything of yourself, and that's why YOU aren't the one going to WIN IT ALL--no you can just rot in Greek somewhere. I hear they have nice women though so you can have some fun, I'm sure you can get yourself some action, since you're such a star, so rich and famous and handsome and all that, oh wait you're none of that, you're Brazilian" (At this point Faina passed out from all his drinks and his embarrassed teammates were forced to carry him away, leaving shocked reporters to speculate on how the Tornadoes would handle disciplinary issues with their star player.)

Last edited by T.M. at 01/28/2012 23:55:51

This Post:
207577.4 in reply to 207577.3
Date: 01/29/2012 12:36:09
Overall Posts Rated:
Talk Show Host (TSH): "Good morning everyone. Well we were planning to have Rafael Faina here with us this morning, but after last night's incident he has understandably declined to appear. Instead, we'll be joined in studio by the other member of the Kittanning dynamic forward duo, Rich McNeill. Rich, you were there last night; what do you have to say about your teammate's, um, surprisingly candid comments?"

Rich McNeill (RM): "Well, you know, I really don't want to get into all that right now. Obviously, you know, there was the excitement 'cause we just made the Finals, and then he had a few drinks, you know...I mean, I don't want to be making no excuses for him or nothing. He knows he shouldn't have said it and I'm sure Coach is going to do something about it. But I don't really want to be talking about none of that."

TSH: "Rich, take us through the season. After last season's finish, how has this team improved and adjusted to give themselves another chance at a championship?"

RM: Yeah, if you look at it we pretty much got the same group of guys we had last season. We got Len, but we also lost Maurilio, who was a great guy off the bench to just hit some shots. I think guys are just getting more comfortable with each other and just getting better every day in practice."

TSH: "What kind of improvement have you seen in Len Smiley over the course of the season, to the point where he's now the starting point guard?"

RM: "Len's done a great job, you know. All the rest of us have spent several years in the league, so we kind of got that, you know, that veteran mindset. I think the thing about Len, well first of all he's a very good athlete, very talented. But I think he's been really willing to listen in practice, always trying to get better and learn from some guys who were older, more experienced. And it's really starting to pay off, guys trust him to make plays, Coach trusts him, so yeah. He's earned it to start for us."

TSH: "What's one area you really feel you need to improve in heading up to the Finals?"

RM: "You know, it's been really good for us this season, being able to get some good looks inside for the most part. But we've been a little off shooting outside this season, I think we're making what? 30% of our threes? and you know, that just won't cut it. Not next season, not in the Finals, that's one thing we know we gotta work on. I mean, we got guys that can shoot--me, Rafa, Len, Damian, Antonio can shoot some too--but we just aren't getting ourselves good looks, or they aren't going down, or something. So we know we gotta clear that up."

TSH: "Take me ahead to the Avenel Falcons. What do you see on tape from them?"

RM: "Well they're very balanced. They don't have anyone who averages more than 15 points a game, but still they put up very good numbers. They're kind of like us actually in that they do work mostly inside. Not a great outside shooting team, but as Coach always reminds us anyone in this league can burn you from anywhere if you don't play good defense and give them open looks. So we're going to have to bring our 'A' game to beat them."

TSH: "What's one area you guys will be focusing on this series against them?"

RM: "Well obviously I can't say a whole lot, you'll just have to watch the game...but one thing is their offense doesn't always, you know, doesn't always flow as smoothly. Sometimes they aren't moving the ball real well, and we gotta do our best, prevent that ball movement and make them take bad shots."

TSH: "Well thank you for joining us Rich and good luck on Tuesday!"

RM: "Bye."

This Post:
207577.5 in reply to 207577.4
Date: 01/29/2012 22:30:12
Overall Posts Rated:
Well tonight Lorenzo Catapang also stopped by to answer questions:

About his role on the team "Mostly I'm just asked to play good defense, prevent other guys from scoring in the paint. If we need me to score, I can do that, but that's not really my game."

About his 70% FG percentage Team's can't leave me unaccounted for, but I don't ever feel like I need the ball to be effective. If I'm open, my teammates will find me and it's my job to make the shot and score us some points, especially since I'm usually getting the ball right near the rim. When I can't make those shots consistently, it's time for me to get out of the league."

About his 0% career FT percentage "Honestly, I think some voodoo doctor or someone put some sort of curse on me. I mean, I can make three-pointers from time to time, but not a single free throw? It's not my fault, I swear."

About rumors that the Tornadoes will be looking to shop him at the beginning of next season "This game is a business. I understand that. If they feel they can get better value for their money, then they go ahead and do that. It's their job to the fans to get the best player they can get who gives them the most for their money, and it's my job to make sure I'm that kind of player. I go out there and try to approach every day like I'm trying to prove that I deserve to be here."

About the Avenel centers "Both of them are young, 20 or so, have great size, legit 7 footers both of them, so it's gonna be a challenge. They're both very good at making shots, making a very high percentage. So I'm looking forward to going out there and competing with them and trying not to let them make those shots."

About being from the Philippines and a redhead "Obviously I'm not your typical Asian or Pacific Islander, I guess. I mean, both tall and a ginger? I can understand you being confused. But that's where I was born and raised, so yeah, I guess that makes me a Filipino."

This Post:
207577.6 in reply to 207577.5
Date: 01/29/2012 22:57:05
Overall Posts Rated:
While Catapang was giving his interview, Li Zhizhi was answering questions for another local sports reporter. The transcript of their interview can be found here:

Reporter: "May I call you Li?"
LZ: "你说中国吗?"

Reporter: "Uh...I'm sorry--"
LZ: (pronounced accent) "My English not so good. I need, what you call? Translator. 谢谢您"

Reporter: "So anyway. What has it been like being part of such a talented team, especially one with such great depth at the point guard position?"
LZ (through translator): "At times it has been frustrating, not being able to play this game which I love. But I know that I can play with anyone in this league, and I will get my opportunity as I show that."

Reporter: "Tell us a little bit about how you deal with Angelo Iriarte and Len Smiley."
LZ: "I am honest man; I know both these players are more athletic than me. But I am better passer and just as talented. It is, ah, unfortunate that injuries have prevented me from always being out on the court, but I am confident that someone will recognize my abilities."

Reporter: "Is it ever difficult, having to talk and interact with these players off the court after competing so hard with them for playing time?"
LZ: "I do not think so. Both of them are younger than me and very respectful, which is something so many of today's younger players lack. Coach makes the calls on who plays, not them, so I do not have issue with them."

Reporter: "If you win a championship, could you see yourself coming back for a third season with this team?"
LZ: "It is hard to say. Ultimately the goal is to win championships, but at the same time I wish to play more and that is not always possible on this team. I will make decision in offseason."

Reporter: "As I'm sure you're aware, this upcoming draft has great athletes with great potential at the guard position, and sources have indicated that the front office will be looking to add a longer-term project to work with and hopefully mold into a future superstar. What are your thoughts on this?"
LZ: "If they feel that is best, then they will do that. Athleticism and potential are not everything though."

Reporter: "Well it's been great having you join us Li. Before you leave, what's been the biggest adjustment for you as you came over from Taiwan to the United States?"
LZ: "People have been very friendly, very nice. But your Chinese food is terrible."

Reporter: Well that's all for now. Everyone, that was Li Zhizhi."
LZ: "再见"

This Post:
207577.7 in reply to 207577.6
Date: 01/30/2012 15:10:11
Overall Posts Rated:
Today we briefly check in with Simon Zoric:

On his high assist totals Really, I just get the ball to guys and they make shots. The defense tries to prevent me from making the basket, and I give it to Rich or Rafa or any of the guys on the team and they just make them pay. I don't really have to do much of anything."

On playing C at 6'7" Really, in this game it's not about what you look like or what you might be able to do because of your height or age or potential or whatever, it's all about what you do on the court and what you can bring. I just go out there, rebound, do whatever I can, and I keep playing. Being 6'7" really has never stopped me from doing that, and as long as I can do that I can play."

On his relationship with Lorenzo Catapang Lorenzo's a great guy, very unselfish, very classy guy. I've learned a lot about playing defense, being a professional, living life both on and off the court."

About his future with the team I'm obviously more than fine with coming back if they want me. But at the same time, I was traded to this team, and I know I can be traded by this team if they feel it makes them better. So that's just the way it goes, I guess."

To: T.M.
This Post:
207577.8 in reply to 207577.7
Date: 02/02/2012 16:53:25
Overall Posts Rated:
Great interviews! As always, fun to read, and looks like you're going to D4. I actually want to face you next year! Hope you come into my league..