BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Trying to train a PG!!

Trying to train a PG!!

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 03/21/2008 04:07:31
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi...
I recently switched to training Guards and bought 2 great prospects. 1 of which changed last week to SG after he popped on JS/JR but the one that confuses me is this guy....he has just changed to a SF this week. I know that the position is only a guideline but how do players keep their preferred position as PG? I am due to give this guy a skill up in OD and PA... do you think he will then change back? or where should I be focusing? Surely his IS is not good enough to be considered as a SF?

Jump Shot: proficient Jump Range: average
Outside Def.: strong Handling: proficient ↑
Driving: proficient Passing: strong
Inside Shot: pitiful Inside Def.: respectable
Rebounding: respectable Shot Blocking: average
Stamina: inept Free Throw: awful

Experience: inept

This Post:
19885.2 in reply to 19885.1
Date: 03/21/2008 04:26:37
Overall Posts Rated:
does it matter?

i have 3 guys playing on another position and they're doing really great! (calculated everything through with BBS and my own formulas for my tactic).

This Post:
19885.3 in reply to 19885.2
Date: 03/21/2008 04:28:18
Overall Posts Rated:
not 100% but if I am building a player the way i think is right but infact the game engine favours/weights more heavily the stats differently then it would be nice to know where i am wrong and where i can correct it..

Message deleted
This Post:
19885.5 in reply to 19885.4
Date: 03/21/2008 04:55:00
Overall Posts Rated:
BB by far over HT and that is coming from a staunch football fan that has no idea about Basketball....

how does this help me build my world beating PG??!!

This Post:
19885.6 in reply to 19885.1
Date: 03/21/2008 06:55:28
Overall Posts Rated:
Hmm you still know Rijsbergen do you? Do yo still remember when he changed from a PF to a SF about 4 weeks ago? He changed his best position to SF after popping in in Driving and Handling.

I think Driving is considered as a very important skill for a SF. Then it happens a lot that a SF changes to a SG when he gets JS/JR pops, and back to a SF when he pops a bit in DR (and HD). I don't think IS is very important for a SF. I consider IS as the shots taken from the colored part on the field (the bucket), I think players will use their JS more (instead of IS) when they shoot from outside the bucket.
SF's takes drives to the basket most of the times, using their driving, but I don't think they will use their IS very much, since they shoot from outside the bucket most of the time. (that's why a PF needs JS as well)

I have not seen a PG change to a SG yet or visa versa, but imo the most important skills for a PG are OD, PA and HD, so I assume that when he will be better in those skills than in the others he will change back.

This Post:
19885.7 in reply to 19885.6
Date: 03/21/2008 07:02:11
Overall Posts Rated:
Rijs who??
Ha!

I think he changed as his Shooting improved as well as his Handling... basically because i was concentrating on his outside stats not his inside...

Yeah well my PG went to a SG last week and Passing training is coming up again after this week....i guess its all personal preference.. i want a passing / handler that can shoot.. thats what he is in my opinion.. the driving just helps him when he fancies a go himself... i guess i need to get the passing stat up at least equal or greater than the driving then....

This Post:
19885.8 in reply to 19885.7
Date: 03/21/2008 07:19:29
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, I would say the main task of a PG is to deliver the ball, instead of to shoot them in. So I would prefer PS, HD and OD above JS and JR in a PG.
But since HD always trains DR for 80% and visa versa, you will always see that both are improving.

This Post:
19885.9 in reply to 19885.1
Date: 03/21/2008 11:03:20
Overall Posts Rated:
Train guards as well. Your main issue with him changing from PG to SG is his shooting is too good :) Get his handling and passing in particular higher and it should switch back to PG as a "preferred" position. He's still a very good PG though and don't let that "preferred" position thing bother you, it doesn't effect how he plays or anything.!

This Post:
19885.10 in reply to 19885.7
Date: 03/22/2008 10:52:18
Overall Posts Rated:
just forget about the best position and train passing OD !
:)

I had a draftee that was PF al along, and last week he popped in inside defense and became C.
Now tell me, how can he become a better center than a PF so suddenly when he gets better at ID??
Ha!

He just turned out to be an even better PF, because PF uses ID just as well! For me, he's still a PF (just like Sennelager) even though I know he will probably never get it as best position again...

As already said I thing driving is an important skill for Forwards, and personally I don't value it that much, which is why my team, eve though it has many players, has no PFs at the moment, and very few SF, still these 2 positions are the most trouble for me, since I have the most players to distribute on those ositions... see what I mean?
:)

Just keep training what you where training, forget about the best position!

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
19885.11 in reply to 19885.10
Date: 03/24/2008 02:30:34
Overall Posts Rated:
i think it would be best to have a all around PG,

meaning he has the ball, he handles it. its best for him to be the best guard you got, like a john stockton who can pass, shoot, play D.

your SG can just be a scorer ad cant play D just make sure he cant be stop.

SF is a special element here, because he has to be able to play outside and inside,
but to me you got to have a reall good center to help you get those misses and inside points and defense.

in my experience training G's, training driving can lead to handling and outside shooting. if your training passing it has effect on driving, training jump shotcan effect outside shooting. the only thing i havent experience with other skills is training outside defense. training handling has effects on jump shot and driving.