Cinema

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 11/04/2017 22:43:23
Greensboro Generals
IV.2
Overall Posts Rated:
The "movies" thread is a few pages back and has been abandoned so it's a good time to start another.

This time though let's do something a little different .

A. What is the last movie you saw in a theatre and how was it ?

LBJ: A little slow in spots. Woody Harrelson catches him well though it does venture to the edge of parody as there was a dark comic undertone present in Harrelsons performance . There is a better movie to be made about the man but this one does hit the areas it intended. The overall cast is a tad uneven, the guys who play JFK and RFK are played as jerks which fits, strongest parts are when his is interacting with Senator Russell from Georgia who is played very well by Richard Jenkins (six feet under). Reiner's direction is by the numbers, in a lot of ways it reminded me of the HBO movie from the late 90's about Harry Truman. I would say 3 stars out of 5,

B. What upcoming movies are you possibly going to go see?

Travolta playing Gotti is either going to be great or complete dreck. "Darkest Hour" which is about Winston Churchill and Britain fending off the Nazis during WWII looks great.

C. If I ran into it I would definitely rewatch..(and on this one feel free to come back to it if this thread hits)

1, The Third man: quintessential noir. And perhaps the greatest theme song of it's generation. Orson Welles is charming but truly a nasty character.

2. The Wild Bunch, unreal cast, unapologetically violent, characters who have not one shred of decency or any sort of redeeming traits about themselves but it all adds up to a trip you can never forget taking.

3. Skidoo, very dated and strangely cast and directed counter culture film which is so brazenly bizarre that words cannot explain. Notable for being Groucho Marx last film, and for having a very young and unknown Harry Nilsson performing the soundtrack which includes him SINGING the closing credits.

4. Last night: Canadian film set on what is revealed at the start to be the last night of our existence. Sandra Oh was particularly strong in this movie. Grim but humorous, sad but uplifting.

5. My life: Michael Keaton got so much love for Birdman, which I thought was a great movie as well, the ending pissed me off but on a second viewing I got it. But he was never better here as a man dying of cancer with a child on the way. This film literally made me laugh and cry simultaneously.

6. The Dangerous Hours, Yes it's considered to be a 2nd tier Bogart offering but I found not just Bogey but the ensemble as a whole to be compelling.

7. SLC punk wild recounting of being a punk in Reagan era Salt Lake, having matriculated in nearly as oppressive Jesse Helms era North Carolina I was always able to relate to these characters.

D. Movies I have never seen but I know good and well I need to. Some of these I have seen in bits and pieces but that I have never viewed end to end

1. Her, the trailer looked so interesting, the reviews so positive, but I never have gotten around it. I understand though it's a difficult watch for some.

2. Gone with the wind, Don't Tell anyone, I think its still on the books that if you haven't seen it by the time your 21 your supposed to be deported to New Jersey so I hope you will keep quiet.

3. Casablanca. I've seen enough to know the bullet points. But never end to end. Truly a hole that needs filling.

Last edited by Coach Lambini at 11/04/2017 23:48:28

This Post:
290647.4 in reply to 290647.3
Date: 11/13/2017 12:14:03
WorldChamps
III.14
Overall Posts Rated:
Watch again:
Shawshank redemption
Remember the titans
something from ghibli :D

This Post:
290647.5 in reply to 290647.4
Date: 11/29/2017 15:23:13
Greensboro Generals
IV.2
Overall Posts Rated:
I was working at a theater when Shawshank came out. Practically zero buzz and it came and went pretty quick. But a couple of my friends wanted to check it out so I relented and took them. Going in one of my friends and I were rolling our eyes figuring we were in for sort of gore fest, but the third in our party grabs a handful of the monster sized tub I snaked out of the concession stand for us (best part of the gig) turns to me and says, this is not what you think it will be.

But good as Tim Robbins is in that film. And as memorable as many of his performances have been (especially The Player and Bull Durham) I personally have a soft spot in my heart for the following, https://youtu.be/yRpWaJRyVQo

Last edited by Coach Lambini at 11/29/2017 15:33:00

This Post:
290647.10 in reply to 290647.9
Date: 12/30/2017 18:18:05
Greensboro Generals
IV.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Rupert Murdoch wants to concentrate on news and sports. And from what some NPR pundit put it, the entertainment arm will never be worth more.

Last edited by Coach Lambini at 12/30/2017 18:18:44