BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > BB Chat Tutorial.

BB Chat Tutorial. (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 01/08/2010 19:14:17
Overall Posts Rated:
Hello. As the title indicates, this is a small tutorial on how to work with the BB Chat feature. If you ever worked with IRC you'll recognize some of the commands. I've been asked to translate my IRC tutorial on several occasions and I really think this will help the network achieve it's full potential. So, lets start.

If you're connecting the network by Mibbit (a.k.a. “the chat-thing below the game page”), you won't be able to follow any of the commands I'm about to give you on the #G19944036 (or any other number) channel. So, the first step will be to join any other channel. For example #yellow, #red or any other color you like, but preferably, an empty channel. As you might have noticed by now, the character '#' symbolizes channels.

1. Joining a channel:
To join a channel, just write:

/j #[the name of the channel you wish to join]

2. Registering your nickname:
The next step will be to register your nickname. For that, you'll have to write:

/msg nickserv register [desired password] [your email]

__ FAQ:
Q: Is the email really necessary?
A. Yes, without it the command will not be recognized. Plus, there's an option to hide it.

3. Identifying your nickname:
Since now you have a registered nickname, you'll need to identify it every time you connect to the network (and to not let it become unregistered, that is, available for registration by another person):

/msg nickserv identify [your password]

There are IRC clients who allow you to auto-identify your nickname and auto-join the channels of your preference. Not the BB default one, obviously. But we'll talk about that later.

4. Data protection (not required but recommended):

__ a) The kill option:

/msg nickserv set kill [option]

This command sets the amount of time a person can be with your nickname without getting kicked out (i.e. get the nicked changed to a guest one). The options are 'on' (one minute), 'quick' (20 seconds), 'immed' (automatic – not recommended) and 'off'. If you're only planning on connecting via Mibbit, I'd recommend 'on'. If you're planning on getting a decent IRC script with auto-identify, you can use the 'quick' one. So, if you want the quick one, it will look something like this: /msg nickserv set kill quick

__ b) The hide option:

/msg nickserv set hide [option] on

This is the option I was referring to when I talked about the email. It allows you to hide any option you like. The options are 'email', 'status', 'usermask' and 'quit' (this is referring to your quit message). So, if you want to hide your email, it will look something like this: /msg nickserv set hide email on

__ c) The private option:

/msg nickserv set private on

This option will allow you not to be shown at the nickserv's list. This means, no one will be able to track you down by your ISP or email. You can set it off by substituting 'on' for 'off'.

__ d) The secure option:

/msg nickserv set secure on

This option will probably be set 'on' by default but you know what they say: “Better be safe than sorry”. It activates the password protection of the nickname. You can set it off by substituting 'on' for 'off'.

5. More information:
This concludes the configuration of your nickname. If you want to learn more, just type:

/msg nickserv help

Now, let's move on to the really fun part....

Last edited by the L train at 01/08/2010 19:54:47

This Post:
127209.2 in reply to 127209.1
Date: 01/08/2010 19:14:30
Overall Posts Rated:
How to connect to the BuzzerBeater IRC network with mIRC:

Contrary to common belief, the BB IRC network is not exclusive to the BB website. You can access it with a regular IRC client, like the well-known mIRC, for example. You can download it for free here: http://www.mirc.com/.

1. After you download the setup, install and open the program, a trial message will show up. Don't worry, even when the trial time expires, you'll still be able to use the program. For that square to clear up, just click on 'Continue', after that the 'mIRC Options' window will show up automatically.

2. Introduce your 'full name' and 'email address' (not recommended to be the real ones) and your 'nickname' and an 'alternative'.

3. At the left side you'll see various options. For now, lets click where it says 'Server'.

4. On the right side, click on the 'Add' button and the 'Add Server' window will show up.

5. In 'Description' write “BuzzerBeater” (without the double quotes), in 'IRC Server' write “irc.buzzerbeater.org” and on 'Group' you can write “BuzzerBeater” as well.

6. Click on 'OK' and you're back on the 'mIRC Options' window.

7. On the 'mIRC Options' window, select the server you've just created and click on the 'Select' button, which lead us back to the 'Connect' tab'.

8. (Optional step). On the left side menu, select 'Options' and click on the 'Perform' button. Select the 'Enable perform on connect' option and click on the 'Add' button. Select the 'BuzzerBeater' network and click 'OK'. Below 'Perform commands:' write: “/msg nickserv identify [your password]” and click on 'OK'. It will allow you to automatically identify you nickname every time you open mIRC. This is not advised on shared computers for obvious reasons.

On the 'mIRC Options' window click 'OK'.

9. Now, leave mIRC alone, open your browser and visit this website: http://acko.net/blog/utf-8-mirc.

10. Scroll down until you see the phrase 'download the script here' and then click on it. Save the .zip file and extract only the file named 'utf-8.mrc'.

11. Put it on the following directory of your computer 'C:\Documents and Settings\[your computer's username]\Application Data\mIRC\'.

12. Back on IRC client you're using, on the blank window, write "/load -rs utf-8.mrc". A window will show up talking about the script and click on 'Yes'.

13. Then, on the top left side of the screen, above the 'File' menu, you'll see a lightning button. Click on it to connect to the network, then join your national channels and chat with your buddies or join the #Global channel and make new ones!

14. (Optional step). The final step is “how to auto-join channels”. On the same line of the thunder icon, there will be a button with a heart and a # (on regular mIRC, it should be the third one from the left). Click on it and then click on the 'Add' button. Below 'Channel:' write the name of the channel you want and on the right, select the 'Join on connect' option. On the bottom of that window, click on 'Add' and select the 'BuzzerBeater' network, then click 'OK'. Back to the 'Add Channel' window and click 'OK' again. If you want to add any other channel, follow the same steps. When you're finished, click 'OK' on the 'Add Channel' window. The next time you connect the BuzzerBeater network, you'll join those channels automatically.

After this, just use it normally. This is particularly helpful if you want to use the chat but don't want to watch any particular match, since Flash occupies a significant amount of RAM space.

I would like to thank dELUXE on finding the UTF-8 script that allows the mIRC client to be completely compatible with the BuzzerBeater IRC network.

Last edited by Damena at 01/10/2010 09:56:25

This Post:
127209.3 in reply to 127209.2
Date: 01/08/2010 19:14:40
Overall Posts Rated:
How to connect to the BuzzerBeater IRC network with XChat:

Unfortunately, not everybody can run the mIRC client since they're running on a different Operating System. For Linux users, I've found XChat. You can download it for free at http://www.xchat.org. The version used for this tutorial was 2.8.6 and a superior one should work perfectly.

1. After you install and open the program, the 'Network List' window will show up.

2. Introduce your 'Nick', 'Second Choice', 'User Name' and 'Real Name'.

3. Then, click on the 'Add' button and write 'BuzzerBeater'. Select the server you just created and click on the 'Edit...' button. On the top, there should be something like “newserver/6667”. Select it and click on 'Edit'. Now, write “irc.buzzerbeater.org” and press the Enter key on your keyboard.

4. (Optional step). Below, there should be a section called 'Connection' in bold letters and the first option should be 'Auto connect to this network at startup'. Select this option if you wish to connect to the BuzzerBeater IRC network every time you start the program. This is pretty cool and allows you to auto-connect to various networks simultaneously.

5. (Optional step). Below the previous one, you should have a parameter saying 'Connect command'. Here, you'll be able to introduce the network's identifying command for your nickname, in this case: /msg nickserv identify [password]. This option is not recommended for users on shared computers.

6. Next, what makes this program better than mIRC by default, the 'Character set'. By default, it should appear something like 'IRC (Latin/Unicode Hydrid)' but to make it 100% compatible with the BuzzerBeater IRC Network select 'UTF-8 (Unicode)'.

7. Then, click on the 'Close' button and on the other window, click on the 'Connect' one. Now, you're ready to connect to your favorite channels. Maybe your national channel? If nobody's there, join us at the #Global channel.
On the left side, where the list of the channels you're currently on, you can click on the right button of your mice and click on 'Add to Favourites' and you'll automatically enter them every time you connect to the network.

For the Windows users who wish to use this program, it will be trial and it is limited to 30 days. On the other hand, for Linux users, it is a full version and it is completely free.

For Mac OS users, there's an IRC client named Ircle. Since I don't have Mac OS, I wasn't able to test it. If you do and you're able to write a tutorial, we'd be very grateful.

Last edited by the L train at 01/08/2010 20:39:18

This Post:
127209.4 in reply to 127209.3
Date: 01/08/2010 19:14:49
Overall Posts Rated:
If you have any doubt, you can find us at the #Help channel or use this thread. If your community isn't that active but you'd like to talk about the game or just a simple chitchat, join us at the #Global channel.

/j #Help & /j #Global

Versão portuguesa deste tutorial, aqui: /community/forum/read.aspx?thread=108403&m=1 Já a fiz à algum tempo, tenho de organizar as coisas como fiz aqui.

That's all for now. Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by the L train at 01/08/2010 20:37:34

This Post:
127209.5 in reply to 127209.4
Date: 01/09/2010 01:48:41
Overall Posts Rated:
I think this is a worthwhile sticky, and will remain a sticky, but closing so that it's not spammed.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live