BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > Is Stamina A Useful Skill?

Is Stamina A Useful Skill?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
104263.13 in reply to 104263.7
Date: 08/11/2009 18:38:57
Overall Posts Rated:
It seems to me that if the game is set up to do substitution correctly whenever a player has a stamina issue their sub should be brought in. Since we have no control it must be automated for benefit to all players.

In this case if your backup is close enough in quality to your starter than you shouldn't have to worry about stamina right?

In a perfect world you are correct. However there have been a number of times that during the course of a game 8 minutes will go by without a stoppage of play. Then when play stops the fatigue level of everyone is high enough that all ten players are substituted for. I am inclined to believe that if the teams are otherwise equal, the team with the better stamina, especially for key players, had the advantage for several minutes of that period.

This Post:
104263.14 in reply to 104263.13
Date: 08/12/2009 06:44:22
Overall Posts Rated:
yeh

This Post:
104263.15 in reply to 104263.13
Date: 08/12/2009 13:27:27
Overall Posts Rated:
when i remember correctly, someone suggested in this debate that a coach might use a time out in order to give players a much needed break. I lost my last nights game (not complaining cause I expected to loose) in the 4th quarter and since I have never trained stamina I am sure this is the reason why I lost. My coach didnt use many time outs during the 4th quarter, so I doubt coaches do this to rest players...

This Post:
104263.16 in reply to 104263.15
Date: 08/12/2009 14:18:28
Overall Posts Rated:
In Theory, Coaches seems to have a very complete arsenal to employ when calling a time out.

The reason laying in darkness is why they don't call time outs as usually we tought they should.

Last edited by Zero, the Magi. at 08/28/2009 14:07:47

This Post:
104263.18 in reply to 104263.17
Date: 08/12/2009 15:58:20
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for the clarifying answer. It is completively understandable when thinking about other major changes in the GE and the new page.

Thinking about the actual timeouts, there is one thing that virtually all the people I know, who do play BB and myself, were somehow thinking and seems to be wrong: One of the most important things we attributed to Timeouts were "tactical adjustments", like double-team a scorer for instance.

According to the last post, this labor does not take place in timeouts as initially thought.

I can't ignore the question jumping over my head: when do this "adjustments" takes place?. I'm sure this is calculated sometime 15 minutes before the game is available in the Match Viewer...

What I would like to know if this is something the coach does at the beginning of the game and will affect the entire game somehow (in a stochastic fashion) being "noticeable" throughout the game OR this "adjustment" takes place between quarters or in the middle time, and again, it will be "noticeable" for us in some situations along the game??? These are two different things.

I wonder this because it will be helpful to know that if in X quarter your coach actually made one these adjustment or you're seeing something that could or could not happen in that -or another- specific quarter.

I'm not entirely sure if my question is making sense to you...

This Post:
104263.20 in reply to 104263.19
Date: 08/13/2009 11:25:09
Overall Posts Rated:
According to the last post, this labor does not take place in timeouts as initially thought.

You're correct -- it's been a while since I worked on that part of the code but tactical adjustments also happen more quickly during timeouts [they otherwise do happen over time anyway since most coaches have the ability to scream at their players :) ]. However, the coach currently calls a timeout not if theoretically a tactical adjustment could be useful quickly but only if the team's actually getting killed out there on the floor. If the team is succeeding with bad tactics, the coach won't stop the action to fix it.

Nice one: Keeping the action of the simulation while answering the question.

Thanks for the post, light under the bridge is always welcome :)