BuzzerBeater Forums

Bugs, bugs, bugs > Normalize match ratings for OT games

Normalize match ratings for OT games

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 06/28/2008 09:26:33
Overall Posts Rated:
I think this has been raised before, although it may have been in respect to player ratings (which don't appear to be a problem now.) In any case, there's no way I would ever find it.

So, it looks like match ratings are much too high for overtime games. It becomes really clear when you look at something like this 6-OT game from a month ago: (4578708). Those teams were not of the quality to put up those kinds of ratings.

It's almost like the match ratings are calculated by having some variable associated with that rating accumulating throughout the game, but not actually dividing it by the length of the game to get a rate. (Which is usually ok since 95% of the games are the same length.)

Message deleted
This Post:
37338.3 in reply to 37338.2
Date: 06/28/2008 09:55:02
Overall Posts Rated:
And what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

This Post:
37338.4 in reply to 37338.3
Date: 06/28/2008 10:05:21
Overall Posts Rated:
And what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Erm, I should read more carefully. Sorry.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 06/28/2008 10:05:44

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
37338.5 in reply to 37338.1
Date: 04/04/2009 10:58:09
Overall Posts Rated:
I think this has been raised before, although it may have been in respect to player ratings (which don't appear to be a problem now.) In any case, there's no way I would ever find it.

So, it looks like match ratings are much too high for overtime games. It becomes really clear when you look at something like this 6-OT game from a month ago: (4578708). Those teams were not of the quality to put up those kinds of ratings.

It's almost like the match ratings are calculated by having some variable associated with that rating accumulating throughout the game, but not actually dividing it by the length of the game to get a rate. (Which is usually ok since 95% of the games are the same length.)

I think it's fair game to bump this after 9+ months. It would really be nice to be able to compare overtime games on the same terms with regulation-length ones.

This Post:
37338.7 in reply to 37338.6
Date: 04/06/2009 09:12:51
Overall Posts Rated:
The result would still not be comparable, because if your players are tired in overtime you will get a lower mean in OT games than in regular length ones, only the difference will be even slightly harder to understand.

I agree with what you're saying, I think. The difference in our stances:
- Me: The OT ratings should try to present what people think they measure (a rate), even if they're a little bit inaccurate
- You: The OT ratings do measure something accurately (an integral), so better to leave it as it is, rather than present an inaccurate derived measurement.

I think I'm more sympathetic to your position now.

I still think when I calculate so-called bbstat ratings in an automated way, I'll just naively reduce the ratings by a factor of 48/(48 + OT minutes).

This Post:
37338.9 in reply to 37338.6
Date: 04/06/2009 17:11:55
Overall Posts Rated:
this could be changed (your suggestion) to make the team ratings the mean rather than the integral. The result would still not be comparable, because if your players are tired in overtime you will get a lower mean in OT games than in regular length ones, only the difference will be even slightly harder to understand.

To me, it makes perfect sense that teams will perform, on average, worse when their players field longer minutes.

Unlike "aggregate performance", "average performance" actually is a meaningful variable, at least in my eyes.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."