Shot Blocking

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 03/21/2019 05:05:40
Tampines Fusion
SBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
I remember some time ago (actually a couple of years ago) there was a discussion on shot blocking and how important it was, but it also highlighted that people don't train shot blocking because it hikes up the salary by a lot, and eats up potential which could go to more important aspects like IS and ID?

So basically I'm training an all-star kid. He should cap if I train his IS/ID/RB to 12. Would it be worth it to squeeze in some SB? I was thinking about approximately 8 if it helps.

This Post:
298776.2 in reply to 298776.1
Date: 03/21/2019 18:14:01
Overall Posts Rated:
Some people, including myself believe that the game engine only generates blocks on shots that are going to score. This means that shot blocking does not have an effect on shots that are already going to miss.

I think shot-blocking is useful, but not necessary if potential limits it or you want to train other things. I think with an all-star potential player, 6-7 SB would be plenty and it would be more beneficial to focus the cap space in more ID or secondaries.

Murray/Harris/MPJ/Grant/Jokic - 2020 NBA Champs
This Post:
298776.3 in reply to 298776.2
Date: 03/22/2019 11:59:54
Tampines Fusion
SBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Some people, including myself believe that the game engine only generates blocks on shots that are going to score. This means that shot blocking does not have an effect on shots that are already going to miss.

Thanks for the feedback. This is kinda new to me, as I do recall reading before that someone mentioned that in shot calculation, blocks were taken into account first, then if it's a failed block, then it would be calculated with your defense? Can't remember which thread was it tho, but I think there was such a thing. Have you heard of this one before?

That said, I think yours makes sense as well, since offenses like patient seeks out the highest JS to OD mismatch. Hence it might seem logical that it is the other way round like you suggested.

This Post:
298776.5 in reply to 298776.4
Date: 03/28/2019 00:30:09
Tampines Fusion
SBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Yea I do recall somebody saying something similar to that (was it Manon or someone else). There was a debate some time ago. Iirc they even suggested that SB was the way to make 2-3 a success but I'm not sure if anyone managed to prove it.

But I think back then the general consensus was that it ate up cap space and was an expensive skill to have, hence people don't have players with high SB, tho I would probably try to squeeze some in.

Last edited by BuzzRBeater at 03/28/2019 00:33:13

This Post:
298776.6 in reply to 298776.4
Date: 03/28/2019 01:16:22
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree with you to an extent. With that being said, at all-star potential, he will likely be a backup for the majority of the ladder. In this case he will likely not get above 13ish ID and that is diminished more if he trains too much SBing. I think I'd take a 13/7 guy over a 11/10 guy, especially for that potential/role.

Murray/Harris/MPJ/Grant/Jokic - 2020 NBA Champs
This Post:
298776.8 in reply to 298776.7
Date: 04/01/2019 19:59:37
Tampines Fusion
SBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for the info. My knowledge is kinda outdated coz I've left the game for a few years, but yes, your explanation is pretty clear. Thanks a lot :D

This Post:
298776.9 in reply to 298776.7
Date: 04/14/2019 08:44:25
Overall Posts Rated:
So what would you suggest? I know is a relative question but what is ur optimal center or pf with historical potencial? Now days what is more valuable; an inside scorer with low Def of a inside defender? What about driving in inside players?
Sorry for the long question but I've been out of the game for long time and I have a mix of knowledge that I don't even know if is even taking in consideration now.

This Post:
298776.10 in reply to 298776.8
Date: 04/17/2019 09:19:19
Overall Posts Rated:
The problem is that you will need to punt one of the 4 skills or have 2 subpar skills and to be honest nobody really wants to punt RB or IS. RB is the most important of the 4, although it's debatable how high it should be even among elite players and IS is valued because any player with low or mediocre IS, even if their overall TSP is very high and have with elite outside skills, will seriously struggle to score with decent percentages.

Notably teams built around players with SB and limited IS have had very limited success at NT and B3 level.

ID vs SB is an interesting debate, but mostly academical because while it's possible to build a player with 3 elite skills and very low IS/RB or SB, it's nigh impossible to build a player with elite SB and very low ID. ID prevents shots near the rim which in turn make IS on the attacking players less effective. Inside shots and dunks are also a factor of team flow vs outside defense, but generally speaking a player facing a high ID defender will take worse shots and farther from the basket, a player facing a high SB defender will miss more shots although they may be closer to the basket. Both skills will usually reduce the number of shots a player will attempt on offense everything else being equal, which means there are probably diminishing returns in increasing both.

A player with 20 IS will still score with pretty good efficiency against a 18/18 and even 20/21 player, especially if he also has good DR and JS. I know because Ma Anhui (a player I built) had 12/18/17/18, with very high sublevels in RB, and Katarzynsky had x/20/x/21 (SB might have been more, I can't remember) and neither was able to contain Innes (20 IS high DR high JS, mid 140s TSP).

So in conclusion: yes if you punt IS you will have a lower salary (by quite a significant margin) compared to punting other inside skills. Is it advisable for a big man? In my opinion no, even after they strengthened SB. The most effective players I have seen with high ID/SB are PGs with elite PA, low DR and IS and elite ID/SB/RB, they play at PG and defend C: this limits the shots they take, especially in inside tactics (something that would not be achievable playing them as a big man), but make full use of the SB/ID and reasonable use of the RB.

Last edited by Lemonshine at 04/17/2019 09:21:26