BB Global (English) > Forum Day Topic: Injuries

Forum Day Topic: Injuries

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
29754.2 in reply to 29754.1
Date: 05/09/2008 15:25:57
Overall Posts Rated:
Wow, this came out of the blue, no idea this would get posted.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
Message deleted
Message deleted
This Post:
29754.5 in reply to 29754.1
Date: 05/09/2008 15:32:39
Overall Posts Rated:
For instance:
-allowing doctors to also make players heal faster after the injury appears
-putting a cap on the number of injuries in a season for any given team
-eliminating long term injuries

Doctors already make injured players heal faster. Whether you have someone injured for X weeks, or injured for (X+2) and have it heal for X because of your quality doctor? Observationally equivalent.

One thing I can tell you is that I don't think there will be double-dipping of the sort where docs shorten the injury 'on impact', and then proceed to make the player heal faster. Nor should there be.

The advantages of the current system? More easy to grasp (X weeks is X weeks, no matter how you slice it), plus you need to have a quality doctor at all times (somewhat important, though not very -- since staff is random, waiting for the long-term injury to occur is risky). Plus, the current system elliminates 'hospital traders', who buy long-term injured players, heal them fast with a level 10 doctor, and then trade them.

A cap on injuries is likely not going to happen. It's as logical as having 'guaranteed minimum number of injuries per season'. Nor is this necessary, when the most common injuries these days seem to be 1-3 weeks.

Long-term injuries have been effectively eliminated. I don't understand why people keep griping on this. The max injury time used to be 10 weeks. Now it is 5, and this number is further reduced on impact by the doctor. It should be virtually impossible to get someone hacked for more than 4 weeks right now, so I don't see what the problem is there.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
29754.7 in reply to 29754.5
Date: 05/09/2008 15:55:57
Overall Posts Rated:
Now it is 5, and this number is further reduced on impact by the doctor. It should be virtually impossible to get someone hacked for more than 4 weeks right now, so I don't see what the problem is there.

During season four, I had a total of 15 weeks of injuries on different players, including 10 weeks from before the All star break... not counting the one game injuries.
Granted I have a basic doctor so my numbers could have been better. Still on a 14 weeks season, that means 1 spot on the roster was devoted to a wounded player.

If this is what's to be expected, and most team has to learn to deal with that kind of situation, fine with me. Yet some teams don't have any long term injury, so it would be nice to know if this is working as intended.

Getting injured players during scrimmage is somehow frustrating, and though it can happen, maybe there could be a lower likelihood or injuries coming during these games could be shorter.

Last edited by Bobun at 05/09/2008 15:58:26

This Post:
29754.8 in reply to 29754.6
Date: 05/09/2008 16:19:16
Overall Posts Rated:
One thing I can tell you is that I don't think there will be double-dipping of the sort where docs shorten the injury 'on impact', and then proceed to make the player heal faster. Nor should there be.

You gave no reason for why there shouldn't be. Care to elaborate?

Sure. It is not necessary. You can transfer any effect you want the doctors to have over the course of the injury (a 'flow' effect) to a reduction upon impact (a 'stock' effect) without loss of functionality. This is how it is being set right now. What you're basically saying, without realizing it, is 'I want doctors to have a stronger effect on injuries when they occur'.

Do you realize the redundancy of your suggestion? Can you please elaborate on _what_ exactly it adds to the game other than an inherent ambiguity about when exactly an injury would end?

Long-term injuries have been effectively eliminated. I don't understand why people keep griping on this. The max injury time used to be 10 weeks. Now it is 5, and this number is further reduced on impact by the doctor. It should be virtually impossible to get someone hacked for more than 4 weeks right now, so I don't see what the problem is there.

You don't think 5 weeks is a long time? 5 weeks is 10 league games (half the season) and 5 cup matches. If a trainee gets a 5 week injury, he has just lost the vast majority of his value.

It is not virtually impossible to have an injury greater than 4 weeks right now. The doctor makes the chance of long injuries unlikely, but you can still get a 5 week injury with a level 10 doctor.

Out of curiousity, because you can't "understand why people keep griping on [sic] this," what's the longest injury you've had in your BB career? How many injuries have you had? What level doctor have you had?

I was an advocate of injury reform in the beginning of last season. I thought 8-109 week injuries were excessive. I am happy with the situation as it was set by the mid-season injury reform.

Really? You can get a +5 with a level 10 doctor? Please, entertain my curiosity and give me an example. My understanding tells me that it is close to impossible, unless the players is 100 years old. That's how I see it:

(1) The injury is sustained. In this step, one could get up to +10 under the old system and about half of this under the new one, so +5 or thereabout.
(2) The injury is affected by the doctor, depending on his level and the player's age. So, in order to have it stay at or close to +5, one should have a really crappy doctor, a very old player, or both.
(3) The injury is displayed on the player's page, at which point the doctor cannot affect it anymore.

All in all, one is aware of these issues when choosing the doctor or the player, so I don't think 5-week injuries are a problem in the game at all.

Can you please elaborate on the type of doctor you had last season and the age of the players that sustained the said injuries?

As for me, for a full season in BB I've had a +6 on a trainee before the reform (I had to fire this guy). Back then my doctor was level 3. I've had a +2 on a NT prospect after the reform with a level 7 doctor. I've had +1 once on a rotation player, and several game injuries (two or tree, I don't remember). I probably could have been less lucky, but that's a risk we all take playing the game.

I understand you want to land as many blows as possible on me (literally and figuratively), but I don't think mocking a grammatical mistake was necessary. I might be a Boston resident at the moment, but I am neither born here, nor am I a native speaker. And while we're there, I am all but anonymous. I'd be happy to meet you for a beer when you're around. You can try to punch me in the face, too, though I don't guarantee that I'm not going to punch back, so do it at your own risk.

That is all. Off the soapbox now.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 05/09/2008 16:20:15

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
29754.10 in reply to 29754.9
Date: 05/09/2008 16:41:05
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't think I've ever wanted to punch another anonymous internet user in the face. At least before your post.

But...would that be a +5 or just a +1?

Depends on whether he can guess which eye I am shortsighted with. No handouts