Suggestions > Day trading

Day trading

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
267683.3 in reply to 267683.1
Date: 02/06/2015 15:18:12
Overall Posts Rated:
I am very glad to see this thread. I have been critical of day traders myself, suggesting for example that if they wish to prove their prowess as a day-trader that they do it in the stock market, where the gains or losses are real ... not in a basketball sim.

One of the underlying principles of any measures to eliminate day trading will be to distinguish between the roster moves that can be viewed as reasonable for a basketball manager, and those that cannot. There are two or more considerations.

(1) One consideration is the quantity of roster moves made in a particular time frame. For example, would it possibly be reasonable to turn over an entire roster of, say, 16-18 players once in one season? Yes, I think the circumstances could exist where that could be a basketball manager’s move (eg. a brand new team with a brand new manager). Twice (32-36 roster moves in one season)? Probably not. Such a limit somewhere between those ranges could be estimated very closely. Then, as that line is approached, a tax can become more and more severe, and beyond that line there should be a complete bar to roster moves for the rest of the season.

There could also be a probationary period for the manager who crosses a carefully determined and publicized line. The idea is not just to make day trading more challenging (and therefore more perversely appealing to some) but to get rid of day traders, period.

(2) Another consideration is the reasonableness of individual transfer listings (such as the one in the OP). For this, the “recent transfers … with skills most similar” is going to have to be a reliable and reasonable measuring stick if it is going to be used to help eliminate day trading. I think there is a legitimate argument whether it reaches that level of reliability yet.

Measures such as Manon suggests, severely limiting the price increase on a player put up for transfer or requiring a period during which the player is locked to the roster, can be implemented without impeding a basketball manager. A basketball manager acquires a player because he is perceived as being useful to his team’s performance, not to flip him quickly nor to profit from resale of a mere commodity. That kind of flip should be rendered impossible.

A brand new team with a brand new manager might need a grace period before some of the anti-daytrading measures kick in. Some of the measures might need to be delayed for a new team, or applied gradually.

I really look forward to the development of useful ideas in this thread. Thanks, Manon.

This Post:
267683.8 in reply to 267683.1
Date: 02/07/2015 12:56:29
Overall Posts Rated:
But then we see his listing price now: Starting Price: $ 188 888
!

$1 starting Price for all auctions.

Mama, there goes that man.

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular
This Post:
267683.10 in reply to 267683.9
Date: 02/07/2015 18:13:11
Overall Posts Rated:
You better not tell me, what I do or don't understand, okay?

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular