BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > First Game Loss, Team advice?

First Game Loss, Team advice?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 04/10/2010 21:00:25
Overall Posts Rated:
This was my starting line-up for my 1st game a few hours ago (87-79) Lost! Advice to improve/train starting lineup here?

C: (14015308)

PG: (7436462)

SG: (14015301)

SF: (14015303)

PF: (14015302)

Thanks

Last edited by ShackMan at 04/10/2010 21:01:06

This Post:
140162.2 in reply to 140162.1
Date: 04/10/2010 23:04:48
Overall Posts Rated:
Your SG Bruno Zurlo kinda lost it for you. 7 TO is not very good, and 2/12 missed shots (especially all of those 3s) are a lot of squandered opportunities. As a team too, 5/23 3pt shooting means that you had to settle for a lot of terrible jumpers. Your guards may not be good enough passers and handlers, and big men not good enough scorers for you to play such a slow offense. Playing patient cost you TOs and too many missed 3s.

It also looked like your excessive fouling got you into a lot of trouble. Nunavut made 11 pts off of FTs, and you lost by 10. Not fouling as much (having better defense) would really help you avoid giving up those easy points. It would also keep your opponents contained defensively (duh).

Also, the GS of some of your players is a lot worse than the opponent's. It looks like you play your lineups pretty extensively, and maybe more minute management would help your team down the stretch.

I suggest you sell a bunch of your not-so-hot players that are eating up minutes and salary and grab a well-skilled player or two that will help anchor the team. If you really want to keep playing patient, get a really good ball handler. Otherwise, if you want to play RnG or faster pace, maybe grab a star SG. Or, if you want to stay slow, get a star C with good ID and IS. If you sell off your weaker players (salary<2000), there will be more room for a star.

Finally, don't be so enamored by potential. You seem overly excited about your guy with HOF potential that you got for only 50k. I don't know his skills, but looking at his salary, stats, age, and the fact that nobody else bid on him tells me maybe he isn't the answer.

I don't have all the answers, but above are some of the things much better BB managers than I have told me.

Best of luck,
HN

This Post:
140162.3 in reply to 140162.2
Date: 04/11/2010 10:02:17
Overall Posts Rated:
Not sure if I would say Bruno lost the game for them. I do agree that poor outside shooting was the biggest offense. Some may disagree but I would play and inside based offense such as Low Pos. It runs the same pace as patient but you won't be jacking up so many 3-pters. See if you can join a private league so you can try out some of these different tactics and see what fits your team. But playing an inside-based offense will give you some time to train up JS/JR, and once you have some solid shooters you can explore the perimeter/balanced offenses.

I also disagree that playing Patient was the wrong call. For a beginning team you will be outmatched in many of your games, and playing a slower pace will help you stay in the game longer and give you a better shot of making a run in the 4th and winning the game. I wouldn't place too much concern in your turnovers yet, unless it is a steady problem, and then you will want to train some handling.

This Post:
140162.5 in reply to 140162.4
Date: 04/12/2010 04:17:49
Overall Posts Rated:
I started playing deep into a season. I knew I had to make some changes, and bring in new blood. I made sure all my new players were okay passers and ball handlers. I got outrebounded some games, but every game my guys came away with less turnovers and more steals, and that won some games for me that I should have lost.

Ditto.

If every player on your team can at least find a team-mate and that team-mate is unlikely to drop the ball this is step one! Your opponent then needs to foul you to get the ball off you or out-rebound you. Add to the skills like defence and rebounding using training.. try investing your cash in the skills like passing/handling that are crucial for all positions. (disclaimer - just my opinion!)